What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fingerprint question

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been reading quite a few threads here about non-Airprint printing options and see Fingerprint mentioned quite a bit. I'm a little confused about how exactly it works though. Once I download it onto the PC, does it then work only with a wireless printer on the same network as the PC or will it also work with a non-wireless printer connected via USB? If so, I assume I'll be able to print from any app that allows printing just as I would if I had an Airprint printer?

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, doesn't seem like I'm getting an answer here. Maybe I asked in the wrong place. Admins, would it be alright if I re-asked in General Discussions or iPad 2 section?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Dave. It may be that your question IS buried too deeply into a specialized forum for someone, who might be able to help, to see it.

So, rather than you double posting, I've taken the liberty of moving this over to the general Help section of the forum. Maybe it'll get more 'eyes on."

And, sorry I can't help answer the question - good luck.

Marilyn

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave - I've been using FingerPrint for months w/o a problem; I'll simply describe my setup (and cannot comment of other arrangements, sorry) - the app is on my Windows XP desktop computer (nothing on the iPad); my computer is wired via USB to a Canon Pixma & a Brother laser printer.

When using an app on the iPad that permits 'wireless' printing (both iPad & computer on my home Wi-Fi network), I am given the option to choose either printer - for me has been a great little inexpensive printing option. Dave :)

Reaction score
Giradman nailed it. Fingerprint resides on your PC (obviously, the PC must be on, and Fingerprint must be "on") and allows your iPad to see any printers connected to your PC as if they were Airprint printers.

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Hi Dave - I've been using FingerPrint for months w/o a problem; I'll simply describe my setup (and cannot comment of other arrangements, sorry) - the app is on my Windows XP desktop computer (nothing on the iPad); my computer is wired via USB to a Canon Pixma & a Brother laser printer.

When using an app on the iPad that permits 'wireless' printing (both iPad & computer on my home Wi-Fi network), I am given the option to choose either printer - for me has been a great little inexpensive printing option. Dave :)

Thank you giradman. We have virtually the exact setup you do minus the Brother printer, which I was considering having to buy for the AirPrint feature. You just saved me $90. :) Thanks to your response I can spend $10 on Fingerprint instead of $100 on a Brother. I thank you, my wife thanks you. LOL

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HKey_Current_User said:
Giradman nailed it. Fingerprint resides on your PC (obviously, the PC must be on, and Fingerprint must be "on") and allows your iPad to see any printers connected to your PC as if they were Airprint printers.

Thanks. Fingerprint it is. :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave - hope the app works out for you (and wife) - please let us know your results! :thumbs: Dave

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave - hope the app works out for you (and wife) - please let us know your results! :thumbs: Dave
Thanks again gman. :) As soon as I get some hard drive space freed up, or a new computer, the first download will be Fingerprint. :thumbs: Will be back to either report the results or ask how the heck to use it. :D

Most reactions

Latest posts