What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FaceTime and wifi

Albob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I've had an iPad for 4 hours and I'm ready to send it back!!

I am connected to wifi as I can use this forum. When I try to use FaceTime, it says I am not connected to wifi. I have updated the software and turnned it on and off. No change.

Also I downloaded the app for these forums and it won't load either. Network error.

I have an iPhone 4 which works a treat

Allan

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By posting this to an iPad Lover site, you seem to have concluded that all iPads have this ambiguous connection error. When it fact, there are hundreds of people here who would be willing to help had your post not began, "I've had and iPad for 4 hours, and I'm ready to send it back." You may not be aware, but iPads are indeed scarce and to have one right now is a privilege (if you notice my signature).

In regards to your network error, I believe the server was busy, as I received the same message. In regards to face time, you might try to reset your connection to your router and LAN system. Sometimes, there are clogs in systems and they do not act as we would have them. For all other issues, another poster may oblige your concern. In the future, ask questions to receive proper answers.

If you have tried and failed at all attempts, I would at last call Apple as they are very helpful and will send guides for future references.
If you are truly unhappy, do send it back before you face restocking fees.

Have a blast.

I have to write a 7 pager!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ooops thanks for the reminder. I've had this iPad for nearly a week and I've forgotten all about face time.

Unfortunately the whirligig of time has already brought in it's revenges on my once noble features :(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My, people sure are grumpy today. :)

WiFi connection issues are about the hardest to trouble shoot remotely, so don't take the dearth of useful comments (mine included) as a negative reaction. It's just hard to offer good suggestions on something that complex.

The iPad, both generations, has a history of problems with some routers. It's not super common, but can be very frustrating when encountered. Many people chose to go out and buy a newer router rather than try to figure out a good configuration for their current ones. I know, that suggestion isn't likely to make you feel better.

So the fist thing to do is determine if that's what is going on. The easiest way to do that is try the iPad with various free wifi hotspots and see if the problem persists. If it does, and no other obvious solutions present themselves then you should probably give Apple a call. Even Apple isn't immune to the occasionally lemon. If it's does only happen on your wifi, then you have some difficult choices. New router (research to be sure you get a known to work with iPad one), or play with your router and iPad settings until you can maybe get it to work. Google searches for iPad and the router's model number may, or may not, be helpful.

I know it is frustrating to have problems right out of the box, but give yourself little time to work things out. Nothing, even an Apple iPad, is worth raising your blood pressure. :)

Oh, forgot to mention. It never hurts to try the universal computer fixer. Restart the device. Give that a try first thing.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4057

Last edited:
OP
A

Albob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All

Thanks for your help. The way I solved it was to turn off all machines and iPhones attached to the network and then turned off the iPad and wireless router. When I turned router and iPad back on it started working.

HKWrite12 - I have developed a new app which may help you. By folding up the smart cover and biting down on it, it will allow someone to use the edge of the iPad to remove broomsticks wedged in ones butt

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts