What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facebook App Does not Refresh when I open it

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Well, the issue is just as the title says: When I open Facebook, the newsfeed just sits there and never automatically refreshes unless I "pull down" to update. This may seem trivial, but what bugs me is that Facebook does this on all my Android devices. Does anyone know if this is just not a feature on the app for the iPad or if it worked before but stopped working now or something silly like that.

I have no issues pulling the newsfeed down to refresh, but often I find myself scrolling down in the feed for a while until I'm done reading and then exit the app. Upon entering, the Anrdoid app refreshes automatically and scrolls to the top of the newsfeed. On the iPad, I am left off where I stopped last, have to scroll all the way to the top and then pull the newsfeed down. Seems silly that Facebook wouldn't include this same feature on the iPad.

Thanks!

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My app refreshes when I open it, I have looked in settings but can't find any specific setting?

OP
cwinter

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My app refreshes when I open it, I have looked in settings but can't find any specific setting?

I can't find settings for it myself, as I had looked as well before posting the question. Wondering if removing the app and re-installing will help. How quickly does it refresh? Within a few seconds of opening it?

One thing I noticed is that when I open Facebook, the progress wheel next to the WiFi signal strength icon keeps on spinning and spinning and never stops. It never refreshes though but if I pull the newsfeed down it does so immediately. I don't think it's a connectivity issue then. However, when I am in Facebook, no matter what, that progress wheel keeps on spinning and spinning, no matter what I do. Odd...

Last edited:

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As soon as I open the app I can see it refreshing in the notification bar at the top, swirling icon next to the wifi.

OP
cwinter

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I followed the force-close instructions in your signature and that seemed to fix it. I guess something got squirrely with it. Thanks for having that tip in your signature! :)

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No problem, I find that fix works for most things, pc, phones, pads. A quick restart/reboot and your good to go a lot of the time.

OP
cwinter

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alright, so afterall the restart of the app helped the progress wheel from going away when I open it, but the newsfeed still does not refresh as I open the app. Frustrating. I might try un- and re-installing or wait for a FB update to hopefully fix. Humpf...

Cv TryHard v2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aghh...

Uhm..Hi?
My Friends Has An iPad, With A Facebook App.
I've Sent Her About 7-8 Messages, And I Thought She
Was Ignoring Me, She Said That She Didn't Get ANY Message From Me.
I Talked To Her On A Status, Then She Told Me (She Didn't Get Any Messages).
She Said That She Tried To Refresh Her Messages On Facebook(Pull Down, Then It Refreshes).
It Still Shows There's No Messages.
I Need Help,
Why Won't My Facebook App Refresh My Messages?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cv TryHard v2 said:
Uhm..Hi?
My Friends Has An iPad, With A Facebook App.
I've Sent Her About 7-8 Messages, And I Thought She
Was Ignoring Me, She Said That She Didn't Get ANY Message From Me.
I Talked To Her On A Status, Then She Told Me (She Didn't Get Any Messages).
She Said That She Tried To Refresh Her Messages On Facebook(Pull Down, Then It Refreshes).
It Still Shows There's No Messages.
I Need Help,
Why Won't My Facebook App Refresh My Messages?

Hi and welcome to the Forum

When an app behaves strangely it is best to close it completely and then relaunch it. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's also a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly, now see if it's working, if not try a restart.

Restart - Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running well. Now see if it is operating.

Reset - Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

Let us know how you go.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

Most reactions

Latest posts