What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Face Time App. NOT FACTORY INSTALLED. How can i install it.

reducha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm a canadian temporarily living in Dubai. I bought the Ipad2. The Face Time App, seems to be like a good idea, but because it doesn't conform to muslim cultureal sensitivities, FaceTime had to be removed from all Ipads sold here, before they would allow it. So...how can i install it??? I went to the Apps store,,and it doesn't show up. Any ideas??? Thanks

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
reducha said:
Hey everyone! I'm a canadian temporarily living in Dubai. I bought the Ipad2. The Face Time App, seems to be like a good idea, but because it doesn't conform to muslim cultureal sensitivities, FaceTime had to be removed from all Ipads sold here, before they would allow it. So...how can i install it??? I went to the Apps store,,and it doesn't show up. Any ideas??? Thanks

Facetime is verboten where you are. Take it back and buy one when you come back home.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
FaceTime is one of the built in apps. You can't download and install it.

It might be possible to restore the iPad with the fuller firmware when you are back in Canada (and using that iTunes store). The people in the Hacker forum here would be better able to tell you this. It is a risk you will have to take if you want to have the iPad now, rather than wait until you come home to buy one.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
reducha said:

I deleted your duplicate post as you are already getting responses in this thread, you might want to check up on the forum rules regarding posting duplicate posts.

The Archangel

scudder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me, I would download the latest stock firmware version from here http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html and do a restore using iTunes and see if that loads it. Back up your iPad first.
To restore using a firmware version you have downloaded, before you click the restore button on the iTunes screen on a PC, hold down the 'shift' button and you will be asked to point iTunes to the firmware location on the PC and voila! On a Mac, hold down the 'option' key and click restore...
Depends if Apple have been made to completely block Facetime from the bootloader in which case you will never be able to load it, worth a try though.

MODERATED : Please try and use this forums links and not outside ones

Last edited by a moderator:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
reducha said:

I'm afraid you cannot install FaceTime to any iPads sold in the UAE. iPads here are fundamentally different to iPads sold anywhere else and there is no way that it can be done.

If you do want this app available to you and yes it's a great app, you will need to return this iPad and purchase one from outside the UAE.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a workaround, you could use Skype. I believe that works in the UAE, and has the advantage of being usable on the iPad 2 on 3G.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts