External Hard Drive for 2018 Ipad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad Pro Forum' started by Richard Taylor, May 13, 2020.

1. Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Want to get an external hard drive for my 2018 IPad Pro. Any suggestions on which one to buy?

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hi Richard - welcome to the forum! :) If not already done, read Apple's Article on the 'Files App' HERE (assume you have the most recent iPadOS installed?).

To date, I've not done much w/ 'trying' to use external drives on my iPad Pro, but do not expect to see what appears in macOS's Finder or on a Windows computer, and I cannot advise you on the best and most compatible external drives that may work w/ the Pro, sorry. Also, the features, such as transferring files, pics, movies, music, etc. may be limited (or not - just have not given all of that a try).

BUT - I just plugged in my SanDisk (first pic below, left) to the USB-C port of my iPad Pro (I have 3 Mac computers and use 5 externals per machine for backup - this does backups of my MBPro's personal files and iOS backups). In first pic right, notice that the drive shows up! In the middle pic on my Pro, I've picked the Desktop folder on the SanDisk which opens up to the right. On the bottom pic, I've transferred a cartoon image to my iCloud Drive, although any other of the locations (or a newly created one) could have been selected.

Not sure if this is what you need to do, but seems to work, and I'd assume my other external drives including the 'spinners' would work but would need a USB-A to C adapter (which actually comes w/ that SanDisk but would need the opposite). Hope this helps. Dave
    iPadPro1.png
    iPadPro2.png iPadPro3.png

#2 giradman, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    In case you are not aware, attaching a hard drive to an iPad is not the same integrated flexible solution it is on a standard computer. While it’s come a lot closer with iOS 13, there are still things it won’t do well. So, be sure to check out how it can be used with the specific tasks you have in mind, not just what hard drive you can attach.

That said, I have no personal experience. I did watch a YouTube video recently that talked about the GNARBOX 2.0 SSD, and it sounded pretty good. It’s mostly a heavy photo and video editing tool, and probably overkill for anything else.

Good luck.

4. Pro iPad Pro

Pro iPad Pro
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi Richard,

My two WD Elements hard drives work fine. One has the 1TB size and the other one is 4TB. They are not directly plugged into my iPad Pro 2018, 3rd Gen. however. I use a charged USB hub that is connected to a RAVPower AC750 file hub. This little wonder makes a WiFi connection with the iPad Pro.

BTW, the charged USB hub has switches to power the hard drives on and off. I can only address one hard drive at the time, so e.g. copying between the two hard drives directly is not possible. But for the moment that’s OK.

One caveat, the people who make the RAVPower AC750 only guarantee contact with hard drives max 3TB! But several others user noted that 4TB worked. Seems correct in my case. YMMF.
    Hope this helps.
    Any luck yet since you posted your question?
    Cheers, Edmond

5. Pro iPad Pro

Pro iPad Pro
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
  6. Pro iPad Pro

Pro iPad Pro
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    FileHub New Version AC750 Wireless Travel Router
    Model: RP-WD009
    [​IMG]

Link: FileHub New Version AC750 Wireless Travel Router
    If one reads the text of the ad, this little machine can do more, powerbank and travel router and that for a reasonable price, e.g. compare it to the GNAR box.
    Haven’t used these functions myself so can not report about that. My main goal was to connect hard drives without an extra cable salad.
    Edit: To access the AC750 one can use the web interface and an app. Both are really cluncky, a redesign could do wonders for the user experience.

Hope, Richard that you are lucky with any hard drives you might use.
    Cheers, Edmond

#6 Pro iPad Pro, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020