Exchange of PDF documents between iPad and Windows

Discussion in 'iPad for Business and Education' started by Samaf23, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Samaf23

Samaf23 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good morning

I am using Adobe on my iPad to read through PDF files I generate at work. Recently I have used Adobe on iPad to annotate a PDF document (inserted comments and notes). When I have emailed the PDF document back with my own notes in it, the PDF file opened on a windows system/laptop does not contain any of the notes I have inserted using Adobe on iPad. Is this normal and to be expected because of different systems?

Thanks for your feedback
  2. Aquaticz

Aquaticz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I am also an adobe user, however I did not know there even was an adobe app. I use PDF EXPERT.
    BEST APP EVER. .

I recently went from PC to mac and spent a lot of time online with adobe. Short and sweet the mac version is not as good or robust on a mac. Live designeer for instance is not posssible on a mac. however I was able to work around this and rework forms created on a PC

I still shake my head at the mac/ adobe relationship

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  3. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,810 / 0
    Huh. I tried to annotate a PDF file in "Adobe Reader" (the app I'm thinking you're talking about?). I then sent it via e-mail after I elected to send the annotated file "flattened" (where all the changes are supposed to show). Then, I downloaded/opened the PDF on my Windows 7 PC and ... nothing. It's as if I never made the annotations.

So, all that to say - I don't know why it's not working. You'd think it would, but nope. The annotations don't even show when I try to view the PDF on my iPad in the Mail app. So - I got nothing, sorry.

I can tell you that I tried the exact same process using the app iAnnotate ($9.99, USD) and everything worked as it should. So, there's that. In addition, there are many other PDF-annotating (and reading) apps out there. If iAnnotate is too dear, maybe another app might do what you need?

Sorry to not be of better assistance.

Marilyn
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Samaf23

Samaf23 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Thank you both for your feedback. Not being a techie I did not know there could be other applications, went straight for "Adobe Reader" which we typically use in a windows PC, what you describe Marilyn is exactly the same experience I've had few days ago, frustrating when you spend few hours working on a document to find out you can't use any of it. I have since downloaded PDF expert but I am still going through the user manual (around 9 Euros) if that does not work then I am going for the one you recommend IAnnotate.

Thanks
  5. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +829 / 0
    Hi Marilyn & Samaf.. - great trying to work this out w/ your own apps - now, I do not have iAnnotate, but wondered about GoodReader (which is kind of a Swiss Army Knife app that I've only explored minimally) - however, I do have a lot of PDF files saved there (manuals, subscription publications, my own database/spreadsheet files, etc.) - SO, I brought one in as a copy and did some annotations, e.g. underline, cross out, arrows, and text - once 'flattened' and sent to me via email, I opened the files on my iMac in Preview w/ success. SO, for the OP, another consideration depending on 'what' you need to do w/ your PDFs - good luck and let us know your solution(s) - Dave :)
  6. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +829 / 0
    Hi Aquaticz.... - LOL :D at the statement in bold above; like 'oil & vinegar', Steve Jobs & Adobe just did not tango together - just consider Flash (more information HERE, for those interested) - Dave :)