What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exchange of PDF documents between iPad and Windows

Samaf23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good morning

I am using Adobe on my iPad to read through PDF files I generate at work. Recently I have used Adobe on iPad to annotate a PDF document (inserted comments and notes). When I have emailed the PDF document back with my own notes in it, the PDF file opened on a windows system/laptop does not contain any of the notes I have inserted using Adobe on iPad. Is this normal and to be expected because of different systems?

Thanks for your feedback

Aquaticz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also an adobe user, however I did not know there even was an adobe app. I use PDF EXPERT.
BEST APP EVER. .

I recently went from PC to mac and spent a lot of time online with adobe. Short and sweet the mac version is not as good or robust on a mac. Live designeer for instance is not posssible on a mac. however I was able to work around this and rework forms created on a PC

I still shake my head at the mac/ adobe relationship

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good morning

I am using Adobe on my iPad to read through PDF files I generate at work. Recently I have used Adobe on iPad to annotate a PDF document (inserted comments and notes). When I have emailed the PDF document back with my own notes in it, the PDF file opened on a windows system/laptop does not contain any of the notes I have inserted using Adobe on iPad. Is this normal and to be expected because of different systems?

Thanks for your feedback

Huh. I tried to annotate a PDF file in "Adobe Reader" (the app I'm thinking you're talking about?). I then sent it via e-mail after I elected to send the annotated file "flattened" (where all the changes are supposed to show). Then, I downloaded/opened the PDF on my Windows 7 PC and ... nothing. It's as if I never made the annotations.

So, all that to say - I don't know why it's not working. You'd think it would, but nope. The annotations don't even show when I try to view the PDF on my iPad in the Mail app. So - I got nothing, sorry.

I can tell you that I tried the exact same process using the app iAnnotate ($9.99, USD) and everything worked as it should. So, there's that. In addition, there are many other PDF-annotating (and reading) apps out there. If iAnnotate is too dear, maybe another app might do what you need?

Sorry to not be of better assistance.

Marilyn

OP
S

Samaf23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Huh. I tried to annotate a PDF file in "Adobe Reader" (the app I'm thinking you're talking about?). I then sent it via e-mail after I elected to send the annotated file "flattened" (where all the changes are supposed to show). Then, I downloaded/opened the PDF on my Windows 7 PC and ... nothing. It's as if I never made the annotations.

So, all that to say - I don't know why it's not working. You'd think it would, but nope. The annotations don't even show when I try to view the PDF on my iPad in the Mail app. So - I got nothing, sorry.

I can tell you that I tried the exact same process using the app iAnnotate ($9.99, USD) and everything worked as it should. So, there's that. In addition, there are many other PDF-annotating (and reading) apps out there. If iAnnotate is too dear, maybe another app might do what you need?

Sorry to not be of better assistance.

Marilyn

Thank you both for your feedback. Not being a techie I did not know there could be other applications, went straight for "Adobe Reader" which we typically use in a windows PC, what you describe Marilyn is exactly the same experience I've had few days ago, frustrating when you spend few hours working on a document to find out you can't use any of it. I have since downloaded PDF expert but I am still going through the user manual (around 9 Euros) if that does not work then I am going for the one you recommend IAnnotate.

Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

I can tell you that I tried the exact same process using the app iAnnotate ($9.99, USD) and everything worked as it should. So, there's that. In addition, there are many other PDF-annotating (and reading) apps out there. If iAnnotate is too dear, maybe another app might do what you need?........

Hi Marilyn & Samaf.. - great trying to work this out w/ your own apps - now, I do not have iAnnotate, but wondered about GoodReader (which is kind of a Swiss Army Knife app that I've only explored minimally) - however, I do have a lot of PDF files saved there (manuals, subscription publications, my own database/spreadsheet files, etc.) - SO, I brought one in as a copy and did some annotations, e.g. underline, cross out, arrows, and text - once 'flattened' and sent to me via email, I opened the files on my iMac in Preview w/ success. SO, for the OP, another consideration depending on 'what' you need to do w/ your PDFs - good luck and let us know your solution(s) - Dave :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am also an adobe user, however I did not know there even was an adobe app. I use PDF EXPERT.
BEST APP EVER. .

I recently went from PC to mac and spent a lot of time online with adobe. Short and sweet the mac version is not as good or robust on a mac. Live designeer for instance is not posssible on a mac. however I was able to work around this and rework forms created on a PC

I still shake my head at the mac/ adobe relationship.........

Hi Aquaticz.... - LOL :D at the statement in bold above; like 'oil & vinegar', Steve Jobs & Adobe just did not tango together - just consider Flash (more information HERE, for those interested) - Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts