1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Excel Formula Help in Numbers

Discussion in 'Productivity Apps Forum' started by sgt_hoser, Oct 17, 2012.

1. sgt_hoser

sgt_hoser iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a formula that works great in Excel, and that I have not been able to re-write it to work in Numbers. Here it is.

=IF(LEN(B2)>0,SUM(A3:INDIRECT("A"&ROW()+IFERROR(MATCH("*$",A3:A52,0),50))),"")

I realize that everone one of these individual formulas are supported in Numbers, it seems to be the nested INDIRECT portion causing the grief. When I try to open this in Numbers I get a message saying the formula is not supported, and it has pasted the last values.

Is there a way to write this formua to to work in both Excel and Numbers?

If you are curious, this formula is writen to SUM a variable range of values between BarCodes (containing the $). The value string that needs to be summed can be as short as 1 value between each bar code, and up to 15-20 rows or values between.

Any Ideas?

Hoser
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,913 / 1
    Off the top of my head I see one problem. The SUM function can only take one variable (sort of); either a range or column/row. To make the INDIRECT function work inside it you'll have to generate the pointer to the entire address, not just half of it. I also suspect that the stuff going on inside the INDIRECT statement will have to be done differently.

As for the rest, I really don't understand what you are doing well enough to guess at a workable formula. If you can supply a sample sheet I might be able to come up with something.