What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emails with attachments not sending

daleoran

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a strange problem, well it is to me :)
I have two email accounts set up on my iPad 2. My company (school) email and my gmail account. If I send an email via gmail and add an attachment of 90Kb or greater the email sends. If however I send the same email with the same attachment (90Kb or greater) using the company email address the email doesn't get sent but just sits in the outbox. If I send an attachment via my company email which is less than 90Kb it sends okay. I should point out that if I use a normal PC and use either webmail or Outlook I can send attachments of up to 10Mb with no problem. Also it's an Exchange account. Is there a setting on the iPad which could be restricting the attachment sizes or something on the server that's restricting it?

Many thanks in advance.
Michael

Edit: I should also say that this is using the Mail client that comes with the iPad.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
More than likely it's your work e-mail and the way it's IDing the iPad (as a mobile device). Gmail doesn't care - but a lot of ISPs don't allow large attachments from mobile devices. There isn't any way to fix it on the iPad, because it is a mobile device. :)

Maybe have a conversation with your work IT folk and see if they can make the server stop seeing your iPad as a mobile device (I don't know how or if it's possible - just throwing it out there). Mainly, however, I think it's one of those "thats the way it works situations" that'll just have to be. Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
D

daleoran

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn and many thanks for the reply. I'm beginning to think it is one of those 'that's how it works' situation as well :( . I have talked to the server team and they say that as far as they can see there's no restrictions being placed on mobile devices. I'll just have to report back to my other colleagues that are having the same problem that they'll just have to live with it lol. Should be fun :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A workaround is to use a cloud service like DropBox. You can upload the attachment using the DropBox attachment on the iPad, then email the share URL instead.

• No file limit size (well not one your likely to overstep)
  • The email arrives faster.
  • Recipient can choose where and when to download the attachment. (It does not end up using space on their mobile device unless they want it there).

Most reactions

Latest posts