What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email Isn't Working

dottie_79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I saw the answer to my question and now I can't find it. I had another question to ask about the answer.
I have had my iPad since Christmas when I got it from my son. My email worked just fine but now I receive a message
saying "The connection to the server failed". I called the Bell. The rep. went over the settings with me and said they'd were fine and that I should take it back to the store. Then while reading the forum I saw the same question and answer.
The advice given was to delete the settings . Finally to my question. Does this mean I take out all the SMTP etc. and then put the information back in. I know I haven't got this right. Could you please help me?

Today I had a big break through. I figured out how to print from my iPad. Yeah. I am learning something everyday.
It really is like learning a new language. There are so many things I read on the forum that just doesn't make sense, just a bit too techie for this nearly 80 year old. Thank You for a great resource.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dottie - you might want to provide some information: 1) What iPad do you own; 2) What iOS are you using (the latest is 7.0.4); and 3) Who is your ISP (Bell in Canada?) (ISP = Internet Service Provider).

I'm assuming that you have a 'wireless' router that is providing you Wi-Fi for the iPad - correct? The message 'The connection to the server failed..' could relate just to your mail functions or to the router/Wi-Fi, so are you still able to get onto the internet (e.g. Safari browser) - if so, then the Mail app/Account Settings is likely the issue - I would suggest first going through the quoted steps below, 'Force Close' the Mail App - if not effective, then 'Restart' the iPad, and if still not helpful, 'Reset' the iPad - this might correct the situation?

If not, then you can 'Delete the Account', i.e. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars - select the problem account, and then delete; once done, you'll simply have to 'Add Account' and yes, you'll need at least the following information, your username, password, POP or IMAP address, & the SMTP address of your ISP - you may have already written down this data or can obtain it on your ISP's website (if you have a computer or if Safari is working on your iPad) - please see this Apple Support Article - hope this helps and please post back w/ further questions and results. Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up):
a. iOS 6.x - press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.
b. iOS 7.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
D

dottie_79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave, Sorry for not providing more information. I have the Apple mini iPad iOS 7.0.4, my ISP is Bell Canada. Occasionally I will get a message saying that I'm not connected to the internet. At the moment it's working fine.
I appreciate all of the information you gave me. Now I'm going to take a deep breath, print out your instructions and try. I wonder,
what is the worst thing that can happen. Not a question just a statement.
I will get back to you and let you know what happened. Thank you so much Dottie.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave, Sorry for not providing more information. I have the Apple mini iPad iOS 7.0.4, my ISP is Bell Canada. Occasionally I will get a message saying that I'm not connected to the internet. At the moment it's working fine.
I appreciate all of the information you gave me. Now I'm going to take a deep breath, print out your instructions and try. I wonder,
what is the worst thing that can happen. Not a question just a statement.
I will get back to you and let you know what happened. Thank you so much Dottie.

Hi again Dottie​ - no problem @ all and hope some of the comments help - we'll await your response! Dave :)

P.S. nothing drastic will happen w/ my suggestions, so not to worry!

Last edited:
OP
D

dottie_79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again Dottie​ - no problem @ all and hope some of the comments help - we'll await your response! Dave :) P.S. nothing drastic will happen w/ my suggestions, so not to worry!
Hi Dave
It 's working. I did it. It took me awhile to get it right. I don't know what I finally did but it finally after three tries worked. The interesting outcome is that following your instructions gave me more confidence. Plus while doing this I learned a lot of other things. Going back about 74 years I was struggling with an algebra question (my dad was a mathematician) he said I could show you how to solve this in a minute but it won't stick with you. So, I want you to struggle for awhile and really try. He went on to say "you will be amazed at how many other things you will learn by sticking at it." That little talk stayed with me forever through figuring out very difficult patterns etc. well, exactly that happened while trying to follow your instructions. Your instructions were excellent I didn't mean to infer anything else. I was just nervous that I would mess the iPad up. I did learn that there is nearly always an escape route. I have loads to learn yet, some of which I won't ever use but at the moment I want to learn more about the iCloud. I am mixed up about memory on the iPad. So, here is another question. Hmmm I guess I should do another post. Again thank you so much. Dorothy

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave<br>
It 's working. I did it. It took me awhile to get it right. I don't know what I finally did but it finally after three tries worked. The interesting outcome is that following your instructions gave me more confidence. Plus while doing this I learned a lot of other things. Going back about 74 years I was struggling with an algebra question (my dad was a mathematician) he said I could show you how to solve this in a minute but it won't stick with you. So, I want you to struggle for awhile and really try. He went on to say "you will be amazed at how many other things you will learn by sticking at it." That little talk stayed with me forever through figuring out very difficult patterns etc. well, exactly that happened while trying to follow your instructions. Your instructions were excellent I didn't mean to infer anything else. I was just nervous that I would mess the iPad up. I did learn that there is nearly always an escape route. I have loads to learn yet, some of which I won't ever use but at the moment I want to learn more about the iCloud. I am mixed up about memory on the iPad. So, here is another question. Hmmm I guess I should do another post. Again thank you so much. Dorothy

Hi Dorothy - wonderful story about your father (you should be from Kansas - your father sounds like the Wizard of Oz!) - BUT, glad that all worked out well for you and happy to have helped. Please pose your next question in a new thread - Dave :)

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry, Dave. I thought this was the post with Pete as the OP.
I will try and find the right one! H [emoji172] U [emoji171] G [emoji169] S

Most reactions

Latest posts