What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

email failing!

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folks,

My email program now fails every time I try to open it.
I opens for split second l but then closes immediately.
I tried deleting that email account and replacing it with
a new one, but the email icon still tries to load and
fails.

Can someone suggest a solution?

Thank you,

Everett

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I did try that but without success. It's as if the mail icon function is corrupted.
I don't know how to delete or replace the system related icons, which may be what's necessary.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I did try that but without success. It's as if the mail icon function is corrupted.
I don't know how to delete or replace the system related icons, which may be what's necessary.

'System functions' - such as Safari, Mail etc can't be deleted or replaced. Is this the only app that's affected?

Tim

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
'System functions' - such as Safari, Mail etc can't be deleted or replaced. Is this the only app that's affected?

Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes, it is the only app affected.

Everett

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try removing and adding the account one more time. If that does not work you are probably going to have to restore the iPad. Or you can call Apple Support to see if they have a better solution.

I'm out of ideas.

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Try removing and adding the account one more time. If that does not work you are probably going to have to restore the iPad. Or you can call Apple Support to see if they have a better solution.

I'm out of ideas.

Thank you. I did try that to no avail. I was hoping to be able to just download a clean copy of
the Mail app or reload just the system to try to restore the mail. I'm on travel but I may
drop into my local Apple store when I get home. Maybe they can do something.

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everett said:
Thank you. I did try that to no avail. I was hoping to be able to just download a clean copy of
the Mail app or reload just the system to try to restore the mail. I'm on travel but I may
drop into my local Apple store when I get home. Maybe they can do something.

Well, I seem to have fixed the problem. I ran the XSysinfo app with the "deep clean"
option on, added another email to the account (gmail), removed the offending email
account (4th time doing so), shut down the iPad completely, restarted the iPad,
and then added the email account that had the problem initially and it's now working!
I know this is convoluted and I don't know which part or parts of the above actions
fixed the problem, but it did. I hope this helps someone in the future.

Thank all of you for your help. I'll stay tuned on this site as I think it is a fine resource.

Best,

Everett

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everett said:
Well, I seem to have fixed the problem. I ran the XSysinfo app with the "deep clean"
option on, added another email to the account (gmail), removed the offending email
account (4th time doing so), shut down the iPad completely, restarted the iPad,
and then added the email account that had the problem initially and it's now working!
I know this is convoluted and I don't know which part or parts of the above actions
fixed the problem, but it did. I hope this helps someone in the future.

Thank all of you for your help. I'll stay tuned on this site as I think it is a fine resource.

Best,

Everett

I spoke too soon...it is failing again....The mail program in my system must be corrupted.
I apologize for the misinformation......

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Time to call Apple Support, perhaps. I would. They get payed to solve the tough ones. :)

Yes, I agree. After I sent the last message I deleted the email account, for the 5th time or more,
and reentered it under another title (same email address and password of course) and it is working
again! Clearly something is amiss though and I'm sure it's just a matter of time until it fails again.
I'll interrogate the gurus when I get home from travel.

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I wonder if it could be a specific "eeeevvviiiillll" email, and it happens when you open it. A long shot, that.

That's a good question! I've had incidents like that with email on other systems. This morning when I opened my email there were
29 messages that had built up over night. Clicking on the mail icon to open caused the app to fail right away. I, once again,
deleted the mail account, went to my webmail account and deleted all the messages, re-entered the email account on the iPad
and it's working......for now! I'm inclined to think it isn't caused by an "evil" email since it has occurred repeatedly with different
queue of incoming mail, but it could be the case. I have a laptop where I am and it is not having any problems with any of the
incoming mail. Of course that is with an entirely different email program than what Apple's iPad uses.

If I had to guess where the problem lies I'd be inclined to think that my mail app has somehow been corrupted in
an area that handles incoming mail and that the "bad bit(s)" are put in play after a certain amount of mail is in
the queue. Not having the flexibility to delete and replace the app is a limiting factor on these iPads. Oh well,
ya' can't have everything on every system can you?!

Everett

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's an interesting theory. You could try and change the maximum number of emails the app will download from the server and see if that helps.

You'll find it under Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars >> Show.

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
It's an interesting theory. You could try and change the maximum number of emails the app will download from the server and see if that helps.

You'll find it under Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars >> Show.

Well, my theory of volume of emails was blown up today. Late in the day I had an empty inbox and received
a single email that caused the program to fail.......the mystery continues. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts