What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ejecting Micro-Sim Carrier from iPad3 (How to)

L

Lunar

Ejecting Micro-Sim Carrier from iPad3

This post is really for those moving from a iPad1 to a iPad 3, but may be of interest to all users, and you may think something like this is rather obvious, and in the past both on previous iPads and phones it always has been.. but not today..when I came to insert a new micro-sim card into my iPad3.

As you probably know, to eject the micro-sim carrier so you can insert your 3/4g micro-sim, it's just a simple case of inserting the small tool Apple supply, or by inserting a straightened paper clip or similar, but best to use the tool they give you IMO.

I had no issues installing my sim card into my iPad1 at all as you just push the tool through the hole and the tray pops out, however, this afternoon when I tried to do this with my iPad3 it just would'nt pop out, It says in the userguide to press firmly, but it felt quite solid and I was having visions of having to pop along to the Apple store sort it out.

The problem was, I was pushing the eject tool square to the case as you had to do with the iPad1. On the iPad3 and I assume the iPad2 too, the tool has to be at an angle, ie. not square to the case when you press it in, due to the cases rounded edge I suppose.

I may be the only one that's come up against this issue, but no kidding, common sense tends to make you think it should be pushed in straight as thats the same line when the small plastic carrier slides out, but once I angled the tool at about 45 degrees to the case I could feel it push in and the tray popped out. It may be a quark of my iPad, but thought I'd mention it, as it really did have me stumped for a few minutes, as the last thing you want to do is to push it too hard and potentially damage something.

Last edited by a moderator:

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found out the hard way as well. The 45° angle is the trick. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S or iPad 3rd gen, whichever I happened to have in my hands at the time, using iPF.net

scotland66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think we have all found out the hard way!!!!! I was scared I was gonna break it!!!! :))

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Same here. Frankly, I feel the design could be improved somehow. I felt as if I was putting my expensive iPad in danger.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is your SIM tray a bit sticky on your new iPad, compared with iPad 1? (I mean when sliding in the tray.) On my iPad 2, which also has the curved edge, my SIM tray has always seemed sticky compared with the SIM tray of my iPad 1. I figured it was just a result of the curve, but I've never checked the SIM tray of another iPad 2 or a new iPad.

Kind of annoying to have the stickiness, because it feels like it might jam easier.

OP
L

Lunar

Is your SIM tray a bit sticky on your new iPad, compared with iPad 1? (I mean when sliding in the tray.) On my iPad 2, which also has the curved edge, my SIM tray has always seemed sticky compared with the SIM tray of my iPad 1. I figured it was just a result of the curve, but I've never checked the SIM tray of another iPad 2 or a new iPad.

Kind of annoying to have the stickiness, because it feels like it might jam easier.

Once it did pop out, it seemed to slide in and out okay, though when pushing back in, it does have quite a positive click when fully inserted, so it may be the resistance of having to overcome that when releasing.
I think the difficulty in releasing it, is just because of the rounded edge. lets face it having connectors, or even just plugging in your power connector or earphone jack plug is not quite so straight forward as it is on the iPad1, for example the 30way power plug doesn't push in so far as on the iPad1, same with the earphone jack... it can't can it ? due to the rounded edge.

The thinner edge also meant the glass needed to be thinner, no bad thing as it reduces weight, but it did mean there were more incidents of screen breakages on the iPad 2 than on the iPad 1 when they got dropped, and likely the same with the iPad3.. but wer'e not going to drop them to find out are we...lol

As we all know the rounded edge is to give this illusion of thin-ness round it's edge, I personally, probably prefer the more practical square edge shape of the iPad 1, having the case square to the sockets is more practical IMO. Nonetherless, they definately should mention that the sim ejector tool is inserted at a 45degree angle, it's a fragile part of the iPad as it is, and wouldn't take much to damage the eject mechanism, I really did think mine had a problem at the time. Thankfully, once inserted, the mico sim only ever need come out again if you change networks..

I bought an Apple Air laptop a few months ago, and I don't know if your've seen one, but it's incredibly thin around the edge, probably thinner than the new iPads, in fact the whole thing is not much thicker than a thin magazine.. looks cool though, superb screen too :) but I bet it's a bu**er to repair...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed on drawbacks of curved edged vs. squared edge. iPod touch 4 is curved, too. Makes for slightly more difficult plugging in and a bit of exposed 30-pin connector, too.

I know what you mean about the thinness of the Apple Air. I bought (then returned for another reason) a Samsung laptop that was super thin, too. It was a pain plugging in a USB cord or the USB end of a wireless mouse because the thinness. With thicker laptops, it's easier to just touch, feel and plug in. With the super thin ones, you've got to look and match them up exactly.

Nlandor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cannot

I have tried the ways u said to eject the sim tray and it will not open. Please help!

Most reactions

Latest posts