What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Micro SIM Card Sales Hint at Future Carriers

iDoug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipad-microsim_400x258.jpg

Since we found out the unique size of Apple's 3G iPad SIM card and now know that it requires a micro SIM card (12×15mm) instead of the standard sized SIM card (15×25mm), Mico SIM orders can tell us who the next carriers just might be!

Gemalto, a micro SIM manufacturer, today claims that O2 and Orange have been buying up the diminutive cards in their masses. However, the use of Micro SIMs means that, even if the iPad arrives unlocked in the UK, users will be forced to buy the cards from specific mobile operators to ensure 3G connectivity for their device. Unlocked it maybe, but the Micro SIM option means consumers aren’t going to be able to get their iPad online with any old SIM and cheap data deal, but will be forced to opt for whatever Micro SIM contracts operators offer.

T-Mobile is also said to have to placed an order in recent times, though the company will likely be unable to carry the iPad in the US.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
microsim_400x258.jpg

Since we found out the unique size of Apple's 3G iPad and now know that it requires a micro SIM card (12×15mm) instead of the standard (15×25mm) sized SIM card, Mico SIM orders can tell us who the next carriers just might be!

Gemalto, a micro SIM manufacturer, today claims that O2 and Orange have been buying up the diminutive cards in their masses. However, the use of Micro SIMs means that, even if the iPad arrives unlocked in the UK, users will be forced to buy the cards from specific mobile operators to ensure 3G connectivity for their device. Unlocked it maybe, but the Micro SIM option means consumers aren’t going to be able to get their iPad online with any old SIM and cheap data deal, but will be forced to opt for whatever Micro SIM contracts operators offer.

T-Mobile is also said to have to placed an order in recent times, though the company will likely be unable to carry the iPad in the US.

Ah i was wondering about this. And as i read i think i miss understanded...did this say AT&T is not carrying the ipad anymore?

OP
iDoug

iDoug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AT&T will be the sole carrier for the iPad 3G at this time, but this news would be more for European and world markets. Hopefully Apple is taking the iPad global :)

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AT&T will be the sole carrier for the iPad 3G at this time, but this news would be more for European and world markets. Hopefully Apple is taking the iPad global :)

Apple is a huge company, of cource it will be global.(its all about the money...)

Most reactions

Latest posts