What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edit downloaded Word file

geoffstc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to forums and the ipad. I know how to open a Word document emailed to me in either Pages or Word. How do you open a downloaded Word document to edit it? I can open the document but can't see any way to share it with Pages or Word to edit it?? Help.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPhone Forums!

I’ve moved your post to it’s own thread, where it will get more attention.

Which software is installed on your iPad? This information is necessary, because it works different on iOS 10 or 11.
To find the iOS installed, open the Settings app, go to General - About, and look at Version.
Where do you wish to edit the file? Is it already downloaded to the app?

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If word is installed on your device you can export the attachment directly to be opened in word. It will first open as read only file. The word will ask you to save it before editing. At this stage you can choose location of the file, where it will be saved. You can save it on any drive location, if you wish to open it on other devices with or without iOS. Or you can choose to save it on iPad. At the time of saving you will have an option of renaming the document file, which you can avail later also if you want.

OP
G

geoffstc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPhone Forums!

I’ve moved your post to it’s own thread, where it will get more attention.

Which software is installed on your iPad? This information is necessary, because it works different on iOS 10 or 11.
To find the iOS installed, open the Settings app, go to General - About, and look at Version.
Where do you wish to edit the file? Is it already downloaded to the app?

I have ios 11.0.3 installed. I am happy to edit in in Word or Pages.

OP
G

geoffstc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If word is installed on your device you can export the attachment directly to be opened in word. It will first open as read only file. The word will ask you to save it before editing. At this stage you can choose location of the file, where it will be saved. You can save it on any drive location, if you wish to open it on other devices with or without iOS. Or you can choose to save it on iPad. At the time of saving you will have an option of renaming the document file, which you can avail later also if you want.

It won't let me export it to Word. It will let me share to Message, Mail, Reminders, Outlook, etc but neither Word or Pages is there, even under the "More" section.

OP
G

geoffstc

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I can open email attachments, what I am trying to do is open to edit a Word file on a web page.

OP
G

geoffstc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have solved it - thank you Google. This is probably something that you all know, but not for me the noob: simply use Safari (and not Chrome as I was doing), download the Word file, and the share link will bring up Word as one of the sendto options.

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have solved it - thank you Google. This is probably something that you all know, but not for me the noob: simply use Safari (and not Chrome as I was doing), download the Word file, and the share link will bring up Word as one of the sendto options.
Oh ...for Safari users it is very common and usual, and my first response based on it only. Safari is recommended on iOS for these reasons only.

Atindra

Most reactions

Latest posts