What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dust under screen

Kitten poker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just recently got my iPad and after cleaning it after every damn use (OCD yay) I've discovered a couple tiny tiny particles of dust in the screen. I mean really tiny, no normal person would probably notice them. But my question is: is this going to get worse? I own a htc sensation, and this horrible little item gets flooded with dust under the screen. Apparently this is due to a manufacturing defect, and I'm wondering if the new iPad could have a similar issue.

I don't feel returning this item in hopes of receiving one with a perfect screen (impossible IMO) would be a viable option. It is only a few specs after all.

Is the iPad screen sealed or fused etc? For example, is the dust only there from manufacturing as apposed to it accumulating over time?

sorry long winded question o.o

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kitten poker said:
Hey guys, I just recently got my iPad and after cleaning it after every damn use (OCD yay) I've discovered a couple tiny tiny particles of dust in the screen. I mean really tiny, no normal person would probably notice them. But my question is: is this going to get worse? I own a htc sensation, and this horrible little item gets flooded with dust under the screen. Apparently this is due to a manufacturing defect, and I'm wondering if the new iPad could have a similar issue.

I don't feel returning this item in hopes of receiving one with a perfect screen (impossible IMO) would be a viable option. It is only a few specs after all.

Is the iPad screen sealed or fused etc? For example, is the dust only there from manufacturing as apposed to it accumulating over time?

sorry long winded question o.o

Welcome to the forum Kitten poker (I'm sort of stopped by your name)...okay... Now to your post....

Some of our members reported similar problems when they first got their new iPad. They viewed it as a screen defect so they returned it and got another one from Apple. I have the new iPad and it had a strange dappled screen defect only noticeable when viewing apps on white pages, like this app. So I returned it and got a new defect free iPad. If you are so inclined, and it was recently acquired, I would go back to the store, show them the dust--you might need to bring a magnifier if they are a 'normal person'. It is worth getting a dust particle free iPad.

OP
K

Kitten poker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing is, the iPad was a gift, and I'd rather not exclaim "oh I need to send it back" and giving the reason "it has a spec of dust in it". It seems odd to me and it doesn't bother me unless I'm looking for it. Did any of those members mention the dust accumulating over time? Or was it present from the time they first received it? One assumes the screen is glued tightly to the digitiser (sp?) and as such, there won't be a progressive accumulation of dust. Is this correct?

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing is, the iPad was a gift, and I'd rather not exclaim "oh I need to send it back" and giving the reason "it has a spec of dust in it". It seems odd to me and it doesn't bother me unless I'm looking for it. Did any of those members mention the dust accumulating over time? Or was it present from the time they first received it? One assumes the screen is glued tightly to the digitiser (sp?) and as such, there won't be a progressive accumulation of dust. Is this correct?

It may not be dust. It could easily be bad pixels, which can look like dust when viewing a white screen. The pixels on the iPad 3 are SMALL, so bad ones will be almost invisible to most people.

I'd say take it back and don't tell the 'gifter'.

If it's dust, it's possible your screen could become more damaged over time.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Krooked has a good point. How do you know that it is dust? And if it is dust, how did it get there? If more dusts gets in then that means there is an air path to the the inside of the screen. Can the dust be blown around inside? Canned air (no, please don't go blowing canned air into your device)?

I would simply take it to an Apple store...tell them it was a gift, and ask if they can replace it...dead pixels is a good reason to exchange it. The gift giver doesn't even need to know, just as Krooked suggests.

Most reactions

Latest posts