What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dumb question...

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ok, I have an iPad Pro (original version) and I'm making a wood stand for it. I have a photo of the one I'm making, but before I continue with it, I need to know what that white box is on the side? It appears to be plugged into the speaker port, but not sure if I want to include a provision for it or not.

Anyone, please...?

Attachments

• IMG_1430.JPG
    IMG_1430.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 213

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This screenshot doesn’t show an iPad Pro, bezel and home button look different. This might be an iPad 1 - 4, and the white box might be something connected to the headphone jack, which is also on a different location on the iPad Pro - more towards the corner.
IMG_4828.JPG

Apple - iPad Pro, 2015

The iPad Pro has 4 speakers, two on both sides (in landscape mode). If you listen to music, covering these with the stand would be counter-productive.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
ok, I have an iPad Pro (original version) and I'm making a wood stand for it. I have a photo of the one I'm making, but before I continue with it, I need to know what that white box is on the side? It appears to be plugged into the speaker port, but not sure if I want to include a provision for it or not.......

Well, I'd agree w/ Johanna, i.e. a small device is plugged into the headphone port - e.g. an audio splitter like the one shown below - I have a similar one (wife & I have occasionally watched movies on the iPad in airports w/ both of us on headphones) - if you do not need to accommodate the port when using the iPad in the stand, then simply eliminate the option. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 12.46.36 PM.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Given the way the right side is designed I'd guess the dongle is a Square credit card reader (or similar device). Most card reader dongles plug into the headphone jack.

See how the right side is designed for settng a credit card on the slightly recessed part, and slideing it down? Using iPads as POS (Point Of Sale) devices is common. This frame seems to be for that purpose, rather than just a general iPad holder.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Given the way the right side is designed I'd guess the dongle is a Square credit card reader (or similar device). Most card reader dongles plug into the headphone jack.

See how the right side is designed for settng a credit card on the slightly recessed part, and slideing it down? Using iPads as POS (Point Of Sale) devices is common. This frame seems to be for that purpose, rather than just a general iPad holder.
I've used Square card readers on phones and the accessory in the photo is just the right size.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hey TP - nice observation! I've made a number of credit card exchanges w/ such devices attached to an iPad - believe that our OP needs to modify the plan or select another (there are plenty of wood iPad stand images w/ a little clever googling) - Dave :)

OP
P

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ok, I have an iPad Pro (original version) and I'm making a wood stand for it. I have a photo of the one I'm making, but before I continue with it, I need to know what that white box is on the side? It appears to be plugged into the speaker port, but not sure if I want to include a provision for it or not.

Anyone, please...?

Thanks for the reply. I do have all ports open for use....

OP
P

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Ahhh, that makes sense. Thank you so much.

OP
P

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I'd agree w/ Johanna, i.e. a small device is plugged into the headphone port - e.g. an audio splitter like the one shown below - I have a similar one (wife & I have occasionally watched movies on the iPad in airports w/ both of us on headphones) - if you do not need to accommodate the port when using the iPad in the stand, then simply eliminate the option. Dave :)
View attachment 78878

Thank you.

Most reactions

Latest posts