1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Will a skin cause any problems over the 3G antenna?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by SDM44, Mar 9, 2011.

1. SDM44

SDM44 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is probably a dumb question, but I just wanted to make sure and I did a search (a few with different key words) and didn't see anything about this.

I'm sure it's really no different than putting your 3G iPad into a fully enclosed case, but is there any reason why I should not put a skin (the peel & stick ones) on the back of a 3G iPad, covering up the 3G antenna black bar on the back side?
  2. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    It shouldn't make any difference unless it's super thick or made out of some material that'll mess with radio waves.
  3. Hdchiky

Hdchiky iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I had a skin on my first iPad for quite a while. Now I have a newer iPad and it already has one (see avatar) and I haven't noticed any issues.
  4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    I have the regular Apple case and there's no issue. All of the skins are non-metallic, so there's unlikely to be any problem. More of an issue is whether you're trying to use the iPad inside your car (metallic) or behind a serious obstruction (hill). Furthermore, the iPad and the 3G/GSM/CDMA basestation (aka cell tower) adjust their power output dynamically to compensate for signal attenuation.

Enjoy your iPad and have fun.

Tim
    Scotland