What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dual USB-C Hub - Does It Exist?

Graeme Martsen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need a to simultaneously charge and use USB-C data on my iPad Pro 2018 11". I can't seem to find a hub with 2 x USB-C sockets (one with power delivery). Anyone seen one?

Multiple USB-A hubs are common, but I need a USB-C socket with power delivery and another USB-C socket for data. I'm using DAW software with a USB-C data connection almost continuously and it drains the iPad quite heavily.

cheers

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just found one: the Kingston Nucleum. I'll order it and see how it goes. I can't believe how hard it's been to find a dual USB-C hub.

Hi Graeme - I and likely others will enjoy hearing your comments on testing the Kingston Nucleum - last August, I bought the OWC USB-C Travel Dock (60w passthrough) to use w/ our new iMac (plugs into a Thunderbolt 3 port which is the same as USB-C) (2nd pic below) - just tried the device w/ my iPad Pro w/ USB-C charging port - I could read my camera's SD card and a USB flash drive in the Files app; BUT, plugging two different USB-C chargers into the dock's USB-C port failed to activate charging on the iPad - there is a newer generation OWC dock (100w passthrough) (3rd pic) - just sent an email to them to determine why the dock will not pass through charging and whether the newer device offers that feature - hope to hear soon.

Also, I've been reading a number of reviews of these USB-C docks too - THIS ONE recommended the HyperDrive shown below top pic - not crazy about it being flush w/ the iPad vs. having a short USB-C cable; but more recommended there. These presumed iPad docks have often been disappointments regarding their features working correctly and the ways to manage iOS software - but seem to be improving. Good luck - Dave :)

Dock1.png
Dock2.png
Dock3.png

OP
G

Graeme Martsen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

scifan57: I found a Belkin splitter in my search, but neither of the ports supports charging, it's just 2 data ports. Maybe there's another model I missed. USB-C™ 4-Port Mini Hub (USB Type-C™)

And Dave: Yes, I'll post back with my experience with the Nucleum. I found one recommendation for it working well with the iPad Pro, so we'll see. It should arrive later this month.

OP
G

Graeme Martsen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just received the Nucleum and I'm happy to say it works as advertised - I can charge the iPad while also sending & receiving data. It's made of plastic but has a metallic finish. Gets slightly warm used this way, nothing concerning.

I'm only using audio channels (6 x in, 6 x out), so it's probably not a thorough test of data bandwidth, but it works fine for me. I'm still surprised these seem to be such a rare device - I can't be the only one with an iPad Pro who wants to send power and use data at the same time from the solitary USB port :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've just received the Nucleum and I'm happy to say it works as advertised - I can charge the iPad while also sending & receiving data. It's made of plastic but has a metallic finish. Gets slightly warm used this way, nothing concerning.

I'm only using audio channels (6 x in, 6 x out), so it's probably not a thorough test of data bandwidth, but it works fine for me. I'm still surprised these seem to be such a rare device - I can't be the only one with an iPad Pro who wants to send power and use data at the same time from the solitary USB port :)

Thanks Graeme for the feedback! :) As to my OWC dock (being used on my iMac and discussed in my post previously) which would not 'pass through' the charge from my 18W iPad Pro charger - I sent OWC an email and a reply stated that the dock was not meant to work w/ 'low wattage' chargers (seems a little foolish to me - not sure if it is the internal electronics of the dock and/or the iPad port?) - below from an Apple KB Article, the newer iDevices can actually be charged w/ Apple's higher wattage chargers (29W to 87W - see pic below from link), of course w/ the correct USB-C plug for the dock - SO, rewrote OWC to determine if that might work - I'm always looking for a way to carry fewer cables and chargers w/ me on a trip! Dave

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 12.28.46 PM.png

OP
G

Graeme Martsen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting - my iPad Pro charges fine with the supplied 18W charger via the Nucleum hub (so far only tested charging from 15% to 30%)..

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just a quick update on the search for a USB C hub with both power delivery (PD) and data transmission on usb c ports.

I was looking for a compatible and compact USB C adaptor that does the above and would fit the usb c port on my iPad Pro 11” whilst fitted to my new Magic Keyboard.
After extensive searching I came across the XIIVIO USB C hub, which has 2 usb c ports, one of which is a dedicated PD port and the other is a data transmission port capable of up to 480 Mbps.

The other ports include a Type A usb3 port supporting up to 5Gbps, SD/Micro SD card inputs, HDMI port supporting resolution up to 4K 30Hz, as well as a 3.5mm audio jack output.

It does have removal side sleeves which can grip the bare iPad, but you have to remove these if you’re using it with the Magic Keyboard as it will prevent the Smart Connector pins from working.

I’m really liking this hub!

I bought mine from Amazon UK, but I see its also on Amazon US here..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0818Y5P2M?pldnSite=1
There’s quite a good video in the item description as well!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts