Dual USB-C Hub - Does It Exist?

Discussion in 'iPad Pro Forum' started by Graeme Martsen, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Graeme Martsen

Graeme Martsen
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I need a to simultaneously charge and use USB-C data on my iPad Pro 2018 11". I can't seem to find a hub with 2 x USB-C sockets (one with power delivery). Anyone seen one?

Multiple USB-A hubs are common, but I need a USB-C socket with power delivery and another USB-C socket for data. I'm using DAW software with a USB-C data connection almost continuously and it drains the iPad quite heavily.

cheers

2. Graeme Martsen

Graeme Martsen
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I just found one: the Kingston Nucleum. I'll order it and see how it goes. I can't believe how hard it's been to find a dual USB-C hub.

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You could also use a splitter. Belkin makes one. Plug it into the charging port of your iPad and it has 2 available ports.

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hi Graeme - I and likely others will enjoy hearing your comments on testing the Kingston Nucleum - last August, I bought the OWC USB-C Travel Dock (60w passthrough) to use w/ our new iMac (plugs into a Thunderbolt 3 port which is the same as USB-C) (2nd pic below) - just tried the device w/ my iPad Pro w/ USB-C charging port - I could read my camera's SD card and a USB flash drive in the Files app; BUT, plugging two different USB-C chargers into the dock's USB-C port failed to activate charging on the iPad - there is a newer generation OWC dock (100w passthrough) (3rd pic) - just sent an email to them to determine why the dock will not pass through charging and whether the newer device offers that feature - hope to hear soon.

Also, I've been reading a number of reviews of these USB-C docks too - THIS ONE recommended the HyperDrive shown below top pic - not crazy about it being flush w/ the iPad vs. having a short USB-C cable; but more recommended there. These presumed iPad docks have often been disappointments regarding their features working correctly and the ways to manage iOS software - but seem to be improving. Good luck - Dave :)

Dock1.png Dock2.png Dock3.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Graeme Martsen

Graeme Martsen
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys :)

scifan57: I found a Belkin splitter in my search, but neither of the ports supports charging, it's just 2 data ports. Maybe there's another model I missed. USB-C™ 4-Port Mini Hub (USB Type-C™)

And Dave: Yes, I'll post back with my experience with the Nucleum. I found one recommendation for it working well with the iPad Pro, so we'll see. It should arrive later this month.

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Pretty sure I’ve seen one in Staples. It was NeXT brand, I think.

7. Graeme Martsen

Graeme Martsen
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I've just received the Nucleum and I'm happy to say it works as advertised - I can charge the iPad while also sending & receiving data. It's made of plastic but has a metallic finish. Gets slightly warm used this way, nothing concerning.

I'm only using audio channels (6 x in, 6 x out), so it's probably not a thorough test of data bandwidth, but it works fine for me. I'm still surprised these seem to be such a rare device - I can't be the only one with an iPad Pro who wants to send power and use data at the same time from the solitary USB port :)

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Graeme for the feedback! :) As to my OWC dock (being used on my iMac and discussed in my post previously) which would not 'pass through' the charge from my 18W iPad Pro charger - I sent OWC an email and a reply stated that the dock was not meant to work w/ 'low wattage' chargers (seems a little foolish to me - not sure if it is the internal electronics of the dock and/or the iPad port?) - below from an Apple KB Article, the newer iDevices can actually be charged w/ Apple's higher wattage chargers (29W to 87W - see pic below from link), of course w/ the correct USB-C plug for the dock - SO, rewrote OWC to determine if that might work - I'm always looking for a way to carry fewer cables and chargers w/ me on a trip! Dave

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 12.28.46 PM.png

9. Graeme Martsen

Graeme Martsen
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Interesting - my iPad Pro charges fine with the supplied 18W charger via the Nucleum hub (so far only tested charging from 15% to 30%)..

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List