What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Data transfer / charging

Geoff Thomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, newbie to this Forum, so I don't know what the protocols are. Most want details of your Tech, so here goes

iPad 12.9 3rd Gen 256Gb

Other -

iPhone 11 Pro 256Gb
4Tb Gaming PC
6Tb of Extl storage (Seagate HDDs)

Plus a few Kindles, Alexas and an eReader.

Okay.

I transfer files a lot between my PC and my iPad and Kindles.

I have a powered USB Hub with 10 USB Ports.
3 of the Ports are lightning Ports, Charge only and charge at the same rate as a USB Mains plug.
7 of the Ports are Data Transfer and Trickle charge when not Txferring Data.

Every peripheral I have will do both Data Txfer and trickle charge from one of the seven Data Ports, EXCEPT for my iPad.

With the iPad, I can only Charge on one of the Power only Ports, the Data Txfer Ports will not trickle charge when idle.

When plugged into a Data Port, the top of the iPad screen carries the words "Not Charging"

I have also tried the USB 3.0 Ports on my Tower with the same result. They will Txfer Data, but will not Trickle Charge.

Can someone with an iPad Pro give me their experience with this please.

I have already:-

Turned it off and turned it back on again...(LOL).
'Proved' the cables with other peripherals.

If this is the way it is supposed to work, I am very surprised that I have seen no Posts on it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums Geoff!
Your iPad shows not charging if the port you plugged into can’t supply enough power to charge your iPad.

OP
G

Geoff Thomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, so what are we saying ? Is this the way that your iPad works ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve had no problems charging my iPad Pro or my iPhone by using the ports on my MacBook Pro. Any port will do.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The main thing to remember is that an iPad needs a lot more power to charge than a phone. The larger the iPad, the more power. If a USB-A port does not have the necessary power then the iPad will charge very slowly, or not at all. These days a port should supply at least 10 Watts (2A at 5V) for charging. That is already underpowered for the newest iPads, but should work for slow charing. You may get some charging with an underpowered port or charger if the iPad is off, but it will be a lot slower.

Most powered USB hubs these days have at least one 2A port. Older laptops many not have any 2A ports. You'd have to check your laptop's spec to be certain

USB-C ports on any device should work, providing you have the right cable.

Most reactions

Latest posts