What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropbox

Moray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I write documents on my iPad using Pages. I want to send them to Dropbox so that I can access them on my iMac using Snow Leopard. I can manage the other way round - if I put a document file into Dropbox on the iMac I can get it on the iPad. But I cannot see how to upload a Pages document from the iPad to Dropbox.

Any suggestions?

Neville

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I probably don't know all the steps, but I think it's just like adding photos from the iPad to Dropbox. You have to open dropbox and then hit the plus (+) sign and click upload. Then find the file you want to upload etc.

I found that with photos it doesn't remove the photo from the iPad, so if you don't need it in two places delete the one on the iPad. Hope this helps and gives you an idea how to proceed.

My_iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just posted this in another discussion. If you have GoodReader installed, email the document to yourself, open in GoodReader and upload to DropBox.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just posted this in another discussion. If you have GoodReader installed, email the document to yourself, open in GoodReader and upload to DropBox.

You can also do this with the DropBox app itself.

@OP:

SMEStorage is a cloud service aggregator. It allows you to combine several cloud file services in one place. You're not duplicating the files, just adding another layer of organization to access them all in one place.

SMEStorage's free account allows you to add two accounts. DropBox is one of the supported accounts types. This is important because SMEStorage also has a WebDAV service they call Cloud. Using the WebDAV features in Pages you can upload/download files to DropBox through SMEStorage.

While it is possible to create an SMEStorage account and add Cloud to it for free, I recommend purchasing the $4.99 iSMEStorage app. One, it sets it all up for your. Two, it allows you to manage your account on the iPad. This is useful, as I'll point out in the caveats to follow.

It is not a perfect solution. The file structure is much more complicated, even the simplified view, so you'll spend more time navigating to your DropBox folder. Also, files added to DropBox directly (not using the iSMEStorage app or website) are not automatically updated on the SMEStorage site. You'll need to open the iSMEStorage app (or visit the website) and refresh folders before opening Pages, to be sure that you see the most up to date file lists.

The marjory of the time I find it simpler to use a free Box.com account for cloud storage and sharing my iWorks files. It does not have the nice sync app on the computer side (you have to use their web site), but they have WebDAV, and it works smoothly with the iWorks apps. The Box app on the iPad is similar in function to the DropBox app; and Box is almost as well supported by the top document apps as DropBox.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Assuming you are registered with iCloud, your pages documents should upload automatically. So from your iMac if you go to iCloud.com you can download them.

I know this isn't a solution to "how to get them to Dropbox" but it's an alternative to getting the document from your iPad to a computer.

My_iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You can also do this with the DropBox app itself.

Emailing a file and opening right in DropBox sure saves some steps. I just tried it and it let's you select the folder you want to store it in. Nice.

OP
Moray

Moray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to everybody. I will try some of these and see which os easiest and most flexible.
Npm

OP
Moray

Moray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I successfully passed the Pages document to GoodReader and then to Dropbox, but it loses all formatting, such as footnotes and embedded jpgs. If anyone has any further ideas I will try them.

Npm

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are saving it as a .pages file it should not be loosing formatting, no matter how many times you copy or mail it. Don't be fooled by the QuickLook feature in DropBox (used in DropBox to view files). As the name implies, it's just a way to quickly look over a file. It often does not display advanced features, and may not even preserve all the basic formatting . You would need to use Open In... to copy it back to Pages to see everything.

If you are looking for a view only version copy of the document to stash somewhere, use the PDF export feature instead. I haven't tested it with footers, but it should show everything exactly the way a printed version of the document would.

My_iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Moray said:
I successfully passed the Pages document to GoodReader and then to Dropbox, but it loses all formatting, such as footnotes and embedded jpgs. If anyone has any further ideas I will try them.

Npm

So you upload to DropBox and then what program do you open it in that you notice this loss of formatting?

OP
Moray

Moray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I realise that the reason I lost all the formatting such as footnotes and jpgs is that in going from Pages to Dropbox I went via GoodReader, which meant that I had to make a new .txt. But .txt does not take special formatting and pictures.

I can of course email the Pages dpcument either as a pdf, a .pgs or .doc and they will all work. But I really would like to get the Pages document with all its footnotes and pictures into Dropbox

Someone said that I should email into dropbox. But how do you do that?

PoetDoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, this is a lot of twisting and turning to use Pages. I use QuickOffice Pro HD and there is a seamless link to Dropbox that once you set it up it's virtually invisible and there is no converting, emailing etc. Granted it is made to work with Microsoft applications (Word, Excel,etc) but its WAY simpler. Files are on all your devices by either going to Dropbox (on PC) where you can edit them or QuickOffice on iOS devices. Probably cheaper than buying all the iWork's apps too, but I can't say since I bought QuickOffice so long ago. Any app that doesn't play well with Dropbox is behind the curve.

OP
Moray

Moray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok after a series of experiments, the result is this. I write a document in Pages on the iPad. I email it to myself as an attachment, either as a pdf, a pgs, or a doc. I twll Mail to "open in dropbox" . All three versions open inDropbox. The pdf is perfect and has the formatting correct.The .doc opens but has not preserved the formatting. The.pgs is difficult to open, but preserves the formatting.

Most reactions

Latest posts