What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropbox On iPad Mini

gazza55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using dropbox on iPad mini. When I log into dropbox and go into a folder which contains songs and click on any song I get the following error message. You can't preview a ".doc" file or a pdf file, I have to download it first. Just wondering if I need to download any further programs to resolve this.

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Gazza ...
Maybe worth deleting and re installing dropbox on your iPad.
You should not loose any files in dropbox.
Have you tried accessing the dropbox files on a PC or Mac?

OP
G

gazza55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Gazza ...
Maybe worth deleting and re installing dropbox on your iPad.
You should not loose any files in dropbox.
Have you tried accessing the dropbox files on a PC or Mac?
Hi Peter

I can log into dropbox on my MacBook pro and don't encounter the same issue. I can view all the files without having to download them. Will try deleting and re installing as you suggested.

Regards
Gary

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dropbox on a computer and Dropbox on iOS behave differently. On a Mac, (or other computer) Dropbox creates a folder that by default syncs ally our files. This means the files are local. On iOS Dropbox files are in the cloud by default.

In short. On a computer you have to tell Dropbox not to keep local files if you don't want them on the computer.
In iOS you have to tell Dropbox to keep files local, or they are only in the cloud and need to be downloaded each time.

So, when you preview a file on the Mac, you are looking at the file on your Mac. When you preview a file on iOS the file has to be downloaded first, unless it's one of the few formats that will stream; like audio or video. Word documents (.doc) can not be streamed, so they have to be downloaded first before you can view (or preview) them.

OP
G

gazza55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dropbox on a computer and Dropbox on iOS behave differently. On a Mac, (or other computer) Dropbox creates a folder that by default syncs ally our files. This means the files are local. On iOS Dropbox files are in the cloud by default.

In short. On a computer you have to tell Dropbox not to keep local files if you don't want them on the computer.
In iOS you have to tell Dropbox to keep files local, or they are only in the cloud and need to be downloaded each time.

So, when you preview a file on the Mac, you are looking at the file on your Mac. When you preview a file on iOS the file has to be downloaded first, unless it's one of the few formats that will stream; like audio or video. Word documents (.doc) can not be streamed, so they have to be downloaded first before you can view (or preview) them.
Hi

Thats great, that clarify's the issue for me. Didn't realise dropbox behaved differently on the two different formats.

Gary

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Gazza.
Does your reply mean you have been able to view the files on your iPad?

OP
G

gazza55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Gazza.
Does your reply mean you have been able to view the files on your iPad?
Hi Peter

I downloaded the dropbox app onto my iPad and I have been able to view the files when using the app. I was previously going onto dropbox via the web.

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi sorry to put my foot in. But if you have since removed the photos from your iPad that you have in your Dropbox account, it is also possible to copy them back again.
When l wanted to do this the help files were out of date.

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Gazza.
I have used dropbox on iPad for a long time with no problems.
It is excellent for small files.
Thanks, that makes the whole post clear for me.

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Brixtonboy.
Were you not able to return files to Dropbox?
Do you mean photo files?
I am interested to know what help files were out of date, and how that stopped your action.

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Peter
It was a couple of months ago, l have many photos in my Dropbox account and wanted to download some of them to my iPad Air 2.
The instructions from Dropbox did not help, out of date l thought. Whilst playing with the photo on my iPad screen l held my pen on the photo and 2 options appeared.
Attached are 3 screen shots to show what l mean
84540f47795324b62f1f04a5f2b00808.png
66cd49a31fa7d214f361acb007943632.png
50c18ab9764dde5d64a538f88691b217.png

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Brixtonboy.
Looks like a great hobby you have!

Most reactions

Latest posts