What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Open in dropbox' not working

jenka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I've got a new ipad mini and I've noticed that the 'open in dropbox' option isn't working. When I choose dropbox from the list of apps, nothing happens. I've tried different file types, and different dropbox apps, but nothing happens.

Eg, if I have a PDF in Safari and choose 'open in dropbox', nothing happens. I've left it several minutes to be sure. If I select 'open in goodreader', goodreader starts and the PDF loads. If I then choose, from goodreader, 'open in dropbox', nothing happens.

I've tried restarting the ipad (by holding the two buttons down until the apple logo appears), and I've tried resetting the settings. I've also uninstalled dropbox, restarted the ipad, and reinstalled.

Any ideas, please?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I've got a new ipad mini and I've noticed that the 'open in dropbox' option isn't working. When I choose dropbox from the list of apps, nothing happens. I've tried different file types, and different dropbox apps, but nothing happens.

Eg, if I have a PDF in Safari and choose 'open in dropbox', nothing happens. I've left it several minutes to be sure. If I select 'open in goodreader', goodreader starts and the PDF loads. If I then choose, from goodreader, 'open in dropbox', nothing happens.

I've tried restarting the ipad (by holding the two buttons down until the apple logo appears), and I've tried resetting the settings. I've also uninstalled dropbox, restarted the ipad, and reinstalled.

Any ideas, please?

I cannot duplicate this issue. Dropbox opens whenever I use the "Open In" function, whether it's from Safari or another app that I opened with the PDF.

So, this is very strange and I've got nothing. You've done everything I would have suggested, so there's nothing there.

The only thing I've got is - does the Dropbox app open fine/normally when you go to open it? And, I'm assuming you are on iOS 7.0.4...?

Sorry, but that's all I've got. Maybe someone else (a Mini owner) will read this and have found the same thing (I don't have a Mini, I'm using an iPad Air). Hopefully, they'll find something...

Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
J

jenka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn

Thank you for your reply.

It's frustrating as I use 'open in' a lot. I hope I can find a solution.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are no problems with opening files in my Dropbox app on my iPad mini. So I can't help you either, because I also can't reproduce your problem. Even if I unlink my iPad from the app, it tries to open as soon as I choose it.

Here's another idea, though:
Try to submit a help request: https://www.dropbox.com/support/login

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You've already done everything I can think of. Hopefully you'll get some feedback from the DropBox people, and that will help.

OP
J

jenka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all. I restarted the ipad again and it seems to be working at the moment.

I'm wondering if it's because I'd been trying to open some different file formats in dropbox that didn't seem to work at all (procreate custom brushes, that are an .abr format). These definitely don't open in dropbox, nothing happens, and it seems that after several attempts at this, nothing worked.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Open In works by each app registering what file types it is compatible with. That might be the problem. You could contact DropBox and ask them about the Procreate brush format, and if they support Open In for that file type.

You would still be able to see those files in the DropBox, if they are already there, and use Open In to open those files in other compatible apps. It would only affect your ability to copy the file to DropBox using Open In.

However, It is surprising that Open In would even show DropBox when the file is not registered as compatible; so I could be completely wrong.

Most reactions

Latest posts