What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading files from e-mail on IPAD to IPAD

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is is possible to download attachments from e-mail to the IPAD?

Please help.

Starman002

Absolutely, it's no problem. But you need a compatible app to be able to process those files. Although the iPad's native Mail app can display a variety of file types - such as PDF, .doc etc - it cannot process/edit/originate these file types. To be able to process them, you'll need a compatible app - such as Apple's Pages for .doc. Then, when the .doc attachment is being displayed in Mail, you'll be given the option of 'Open in' and Pages will be offered to you. If you select that option, the document will be copied into Pages file space.

Tim

OP
S

Starman002

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Please help.

Starman002

Absolutely, it's no problem. But you need a compatible app to be able to process those files. Although the iPad's native Mail app can display a variety of file types - such as PDF, .doc etc - it cannot process/edit/originate these file types. To be able to process them, you'll need a compatible app - such as Apple's Pages for .doc. Then, when the .doc attachment is being displayed in Mail, you'll be given the option of 'Open in' and Pages will be offered to you. If you select that option, the document will be copied into Pages file space.

Tim
Tim, I tried that. I can open the pdf file but I cannot copy it to a spot on the ipad where I can copy it to a usb drive. I have many apps also the ipad is jail broken so I can move files, but I don't know how to copy the file to a place on the ipad from e-mail. Please help.
Starman002

OP
S

Starman002

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Please help.

Starman002

Tim
Tim SPRACKLEN, I tried that. I can open the pdf file but I cannot copy it to a spot on the ipad where I can copy it to a usb drive. I have many apps also the ipad is jail broken so I can move files, but I don't know how to copy the file to a place on the ipad from e-mail. Please help.
Starman002

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have moved this to the Hacking section, where I think our jailbreaking gurus will be able to answer this. I think the Cydia app iFile can do this, though.

Tim

OP
S

Starman002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have ifile????

I have moved this to the Hacking section, where I think our jailbreaking gurus will be able to answer this. I think the Cydia app iFile can do this, though.

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN, I have iFile and since I can't get the file downloaded to the iPad I am stuck. Is it too much to ask for apple to allow an attachment from e-mail to be downloaded to an iPad?

Starman002

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iPad, when I receive an email with a PDF attachment, I simply touch the displayed attachment when I'm in the Mail app and the menu bar offers me the 'Open In' option, and I can open this PDF in either GoodReader or iBooks. I've never ever had a problem with this - or with saving the PDF (or other) attachments. I wondered, therefore, if this was as JB issue and, as I'm not a JB person, I moved your post after wondering whether there was a JB issue here.

Sorry about that - I'm sure some of the JB community will be able to help but, for sure, I've never had any problem with saving PDF attachments.

Tim

OP
S

Starman002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iPad, when I receive an email with a PDF attachment, I simply touch the displayed attachment when I'm in the Mail app and the menu bar offers me the 'Open In' option, and I can open this PDF in either GoodReader or iBooks. I've never ever had a problem with this - or with saving the PDF (or other) attachments. I wondered, therefore, if this was as JB issue and, as I'm not a JB person, I moved your post after wondering whether there was a JB issue here.

Sorry about that - I'm sure some of the JB community will be able to help but, for sure, I've never had any problem with saving PDF attachments.

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN, I can open the file, read the file, see the file fine. That isn't the issue. I cannot copy the file to anywhere on the iPad where I can download it to a USB flash drive so I can print it. That is the issue. I have gmail on the iPad using the mail through settings. But I can only view the file. Any other ideas?

Starman002

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this is definitely a JB question, so we need to wait for Leigh (f4780y) or Grayson (GrayFox) to answer this...

(so, Grayson, I'm fielding the difficult questions to you now, as you requested...:D )

Tim

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm neither Leigh or Grayson, but, I think I can help (if I understand the question correctly - using a jailbroke iPad, you want to move files to a USB stick for storage/printing later).

I've done the following using a jailbroke iPad1, Goodreader, iFile (from Cydia), the camera connection kit, a 2GB flash drive and a PDF file. Don't see why it won't work with other apps...

1 - Attach the flash drive (via the camera connection kit) to the iPad
2 - Open the document in Mail.
3 - Using the "Open In..." feature, open the document in Goodreader.
4 - Close Goodreader and open iFile
5 - [In landscape] In the leftmost column, you have a line titled "Applications." Select it.
5 - Scroll in the right column until you find Goodreader. Select it.
6 - At the top, there should be a folder titled "Documents." Select it.
7 - Once you're in that folder, at the upper right side is a button "Edit." Select it. You should get little circles next to the documents in that Goodreader documents file.
8 - Find your PDF file (or any file) and select it (should get a red check mark).
9 - At the bottom of the iFile screen, there is a clipboard icon (furthest to the right). Select it.
10 - Pick either "Copy/Link" or "Cut."
11 - select "Done" button at the upper right hand.
12 - Go back to the left column and select your SD card (should show as Flash Drive - at least that's what mine says).
13 - Once it opens, select "Edit" again.
14 - Select the clipboard icon again - pick "Paste"
15 - Then select Done again.

That should move the file over to the flash drive (I've also done this with an SD card).

The directions look long, but it's actually a very simple process. You can do this with any document in Goodreader - plus you can just reverse the process and use an SD card/flash drive to put documents, movies, music, etc., onto the iPad.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Marilyn

P.S. I don't know how/where to access Mail directly to pull the document right out of there, sorry. All's I know is to use an app like Goodreader to go and get the files...

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice Marilyn!
And thank you Tim. :)

The attachments aren't on the iPad unless you save them in another app. All you see is the icon in the message but the actual file is on the server to conserve space.
Another way would to just tap on the file in mail and open it with ifile. You could make a folder and copy and paste all your downloaded files there.
(ifile is available from Cydia for free, but if you really like it, please buy it. The devs deserve their pay because it is an awesome app.)

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...[snip]...Another way would to just tap on the file in mail and open it with ifile. You could make a folder and copy and paste all your downloaded files there.

Heh. Forgot that part. Which removes the requirement to save to Goodreader first. You'd think I'd have all the shortcut steps down...

Thanks.

Marilyn

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Heh. Forgot that part. Which removes the requirement to save to Goodreader first. You'd think I'd have all the shortcut steps down...

Thanks.

Marilyn

And removes the requirement of the CCK. :D

Most reactions

Latest posts