What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Download photo's from iPad3 to Flash

OldGeezer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got a camera "connection Kit" which works well with downloading pics onto my iPad. What I want to know is, can I use the same USB portal to take photo's from my iPad3 to a flash drive?

if so how do I accomplish that?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid not, it's a one way deal here. You will need to do it via your PC/Mac to your flash drive.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, no other options?

There are other options to get photos to a flash drive, but the ones I know require additional hardware. If you are interested, let me know and I'll give you the option I use.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you download to a flash device, it is recognized as an external storage unit, the same as an external hard drive. The iPad does not have the capability to see external hard drives. Your options are to use an external hard drive that is designed to mimic the iTunes protocol used to transfer to your computer, or to jailbreak your iPad to use the software which will allow the iPad to see the flash device. I do not know if that helps, but it is all I know on the subject.

Last edited:
OP
O

OldGeezer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, Please. I will be traveling for a month, and want to just bring my iPad3 64mb.
I will be taking at least 2000 photo's on my trip.
paul

There are other options to get photos to a flash drive, but the ones I know require additional hardware. If you are interested, let me know and I'll give you the option I use.

OP
O

OldGeezer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand what you mean " jailbreak your iPad to use the software which will all the iPad to see the flash device"

When you download to a flash device, it is recognized as an external storage unit, the same as an external hard drive. The iPad does not have the capability to see external hard drives. Your options are to use an external hard drive that is designed to mimic the iTunes protocol used to transfer to your computer, or to jailbreak your iPad to use the software which will all the iPad to see the flash device. I do not know if that helps, but it is all I know on the subject.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, Please. I will be traveling for a month, and want to just bring my iPad3 64mb.
I will be taking at least 2000 photo's on my trip.
paul

I use the air stash A02 which you can find at this link:

Amazon.com: Maxell AirStash Expandable Capacity Wireless Flash Drive A02 (Included Starter 8GB Class 10 SDHC Card): Electronics

I love this little thing because its is small compared to other options (and there are some others to consider) because I can use a usb charger to charge it (the one for my iPad), I can charge it on the go in the car, and then you can stream from it while charging it. You can also get several SD cards to use in it. So you can play movies from it, you can bring in photos from it (just put your camera SD card into the slot on the back), and you can store your photos you took or edited back to this device. There is a free app in the App Store that you use with this.

There is also the goflex satellite which offers 500GB of storage for a very competitive price. I don't own that one but I mention it here because you may find it a better value and may not mind its size and the need to carry a charger around (different strokes for different folks). I think there are at least two more options...there is a subforum here that addresses these options. I'll link back to it in a bit.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbreaking allows the use of some programs which are not approved by Apple. A lot of functions are not enabled in the iPad iOS due to power demands, potential conflicts, or other considerations. There are those who like to go that way, but it does hold risks. We have a section on Jailbreaking, for those who like the challenge. I personally would go with the Airstash or similar device for many good reasons.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a 64 GB wifi Air Stash as well as a 500 GB wifi GoFlex Satellite Pro to store my photos. Put them on either with your computer, not your iPad. You then tether wirelessly from your iPad to either device to see them. Works like a charm.

In short, you need to download from your camera's SD or CF card to your computer then back up to either the AirStash or the GoFlex Satellite. I do this all the time when on the road and have about 360 GB of photos.

Most reactions