What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downgrade from ios6 ?

Goodwin929

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anyone knows if its possible to downgrade from ios 6 to 5.1.1 if you have the blobs ? ben searching the web for several hours now. no luck so far

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no. As of now - there is no way to downgrade from iOS 6 to iOS 5.1.1, even if you have saved the blobs. Sorry.

Marilyn

Calkid44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Goodwin929 said:
anyone knows if its possible to downgrade from ios 6 to 5.1.1 if you have the blobs ? ben searching the web for several hours now. no luck so far

You can go into DFU mode and restore to factory settings depending on which Ipad you have, 1,2 or 3 will all do the same thing. In order to do it all you have to do is plug it into your PC/Mac with Itunes running, hold down the home and power button for 15 seconds, then release the power button keeping your finger pressed on the home button still and count to 10 seconds then let go, your Ipad should appear black, no logo, no nothing, then your Itune's will recognize you are in recovery mode, follow instructions and you are back to factory setting. Do not restore from a back up as your back up's have the new IOS on them, restore as new and install your apps, photo's etc as you like it, hope this helps? Sometimes you have to do the DFU a few times because your seconds are not on the money, i use the 1 1000, 2 1000 method and works everytime

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. The procedure outlined by Calkid44 does not help you move back to iOS 5.1.1 after being on iOS 6. All that procedure does is load a new iOS 6 onto the iPad.

Again, you cannot re-install iOS 5.1.1 onto an iPad without blobs.

And, as of right now - whether you have blobs or not - there is NO way to downgrade from iOS 6 to iOS 5.1.1. None. The only thing we have heard so far is that there is a tool being developed so you can re-restore to iOS 5.1.1 IF you have NEVER gone up to iOS 6. There has been no mention of a tool in the works that allows you to go back to iOS 5.1.1 after upgrading to iOS 6.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

Tazz229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is possible with the iPhone 4 to downgrade from 6 back to 5.1.1 so I'm assuming its also possible with the ipad2.

I can confirm this because I've just downgraded my phone.

As long as the blobs are saved!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is possible with the iPhone 4 to downgrade from 6 back to 5.1.1 so I'm assuming its also possible with the ipad2.

I can confirm this because I've just downgraded my phone.

As long as the blobs are saved!

Incorrect Tazz299. Please trust that we know what we are talking about, rather than making assumptions :D

The iPhone4 can easily be downgraded with SHSH Blobs as can the iPad1 as these use IDENTICAL chipsets (A4) and for which there is a known bootrom exploit which (coupled with blobs) is the key to the flexibility in being able to downgrade.

The iPad2 and iPad3 use a different chipset for which there is no known bootrom exploit. The userland exploits which do exist in the 5.x firmware are currently being developed into the next version of redsn0w to allow iPhone4S, iPad2, and iPad3 owners some flexibility. Depending on what blobs you have, you may be able to downgrade the iPad2, or at the very least restore the same version of 5.x firmware that is already installed. However, the release date for this new version has not been announced yet. You can read all about it on the dev-team blog - http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Hope that clarifies.

Last edited:

Tazz229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Incorrect Tazz299. Please trust that we know what we are talking about, rather than making assumptions :D

The iPhone4 can easily be downgraded with SHSH Blobs as can the iPad1 as these use IDENTICAL chipsets (A4) and for which there is a known bootrom exploit which (coupled with blobs) is the key to the flexibility in being able to downgrade.

The iPad2 and iPad3 use a different chipset for which there is no known bootrom exploit. The userland exploits which do exist in the 5.x firmware are currently being developed into the next version of redsn0w to allow iPhone4S, iPad2, and iPad3 owners some flexibility. Depending on what blobs you have, you may be able to downgrade the iPad2, or at the very least restore the same version of 5.x firmware that is already installed. However, the release date for this new version has not been announced yet. You can read all about it on the dev-team blog - http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Hope that clarifies.

I stand corrected you have my sincerest apologies :)

Most reactions

Latest posts