What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anybody else dislike the Lightning port?

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.

It seems pretty delicate to me. It's a little difficult to insert and remove from the iPad, so I feel I have to be careful, especially when removing it.

It's no biggie, I deal with it; I put some DeOxit Gold on it and that lubes it a bit and I'm careful not to pull the wire but grasp that tinly plug with my fat fingers.

I wonder why they didn't go with a mini USB port like my Galaxy phone?

Bob

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The lightning connector is a much more capable connector than the mini USB port, capable of more functionality and is far less fragile. It fits both ways, meaning no more fumbling to get it right or worse, damaging the port by trying to force it in the wrong way.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The lightning connector is a much more capable connector than the mini USB port, capable of more functionality and is far less fragile. It fits both ways, meaning no more fumbling to get it right or worse, damaging the port by trying to force it in the wrong way.

@ Bob - have to agree w/ Scifan.., i.e. really like that there is no need to orient the adapter when plugging into the iDevice; I carefully hold the tip when inserting and removing - now I have the 30-pin camera connection kit (CCK) for my now gone iPad 2 and a Sangean bedroom radio w/ the old adapter (my aging iPod Touch 2 is attached) - did not spend the money on a 30-pin to lightning connector nor a new CCK for my iPad Air 2 (use wireless devices now to transfer my photos). So, probably one of the main concerns for hardware upgraders is deciding on this adapter shape transition. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I also think there's a possibility that we'll see the new USB C connector in a future iPhone. It's small enough and can do even more than the Lightning connector.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I also think there's a possibility that we'll see the new USB C connector in a future iPhone. It's small enough and can do even more than the Lightning connector.

My very thoughts also after reading several articles on the new MacBook and the USB-C port in some recent issues of Macworld & PC Magazine; below is a pic showing how the two adapter tips appear (Source) - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 3.45.11 PM.png

OP
BobbyBoomer

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not having to orient either side up is a convenience, and small sizes are the way to go, but it still seems a bit fragile to me.

I don't mean to sound too negative, overall I like the iPad and am glad I bought it. I'm still learning about it and this is part of my education.

I wonder what can it do that the USB can not?

The only thing I currently use it for is to charge the battery. I am using dropbox (I know it's slow) to transfer files back and forth. I'm also planning on a lightning to MIDI interface, but that's for the future.

But I'm sure a lot of people use the iPad for a lot more than I do. It's mostly couch computing for me. I find it much less capable than a laptop but much more portable -- much more capable than a phone but much less portable.

I've delved into a few music apps, but so far I haven't found that killer iPad app that makes me want to use it instead of my laptop and array of hardware sound modules. Who knows, perhaps tomorrow?

Bob

jantoles

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.

It seems pretty delicate to me. It's a little difficult to insert and remove from the iPad, so I feel I have to be careful, especially when removing it.

It's no biggie, I deal with it; I put some DeOxit Gold on it and that lubes it a bit and I'm careful not to pull the wire but grasp that tinly plug with my fat fingers.

I wonder why they didn't go with a mini USB port like my Galaxy phone?

Bob
What I do not like about it is that, if you do not buy it from Apple, it will not work. Many vendors claim their lightening connector will work for Apple computers, but I have tried several and none would work. Apple is so expensive with everything and why, I cannot figure out since it is all made in China. I know I would never buy dog food made in China!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What I do not like about it is that, if you do not buy it from Apple, it will not work. Many vendors claim their lightening connector will work for Apple computers, but I have tried several and none would work. Apple is so expensive with everything and why, I cannot figure out since it is all made in China. I know I would never buy dog food made in China!
The third party lightning cables that are having problems working properly are almost certainly unlicenced counterfeits. Authorized third party lightning cables, licenced by Apple won't have this problem and should be just as reliable as Apple's own cables.

OP
BobbyBoomer

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple has always tried to keep everything 'in house'. In a way that's good, as the products Apple makes are usually top-notch. But on the other hand it means there is no real price competition.

Before the IBM Compatible (now known as PC) all computers were pretty much like that. If you bought Atari, you needed Atari peripherals, if you bought Commodore, you needed Commodore peripherals, and so on.

It could very well be that the lightning port is nothing but a way to keep the money in Apple's pocket. That's just a possibility.

Like I said, it isn't a big deal to me, but I would have preferred a mini USB. I haven't run into one of the situations where Lightning is better, and if I do, I'll immediately change my mind.

Bob

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wife ruined a darn good Kindle Fire by cramming the charge cord in the wrong way.

OP
BobbyBoomer

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wife ruined a darn good Kindle Fire by cramming the charge cord in the wrong way.

Sounds like you either need a good Kindle Fire or a new wife -- getting a new Kindle is probably less expensive ;)

John903

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple could have just involved themselves in that process if they really wanted,they probably just thought this connector was better.

OP
BobbyBoomer

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had a lot of experience with cables, and I don't see any stress relief at the end of the cable, and the grip is so small that it is difficult for me to pull it out without putting part of my fingers on the cable. So it seems like a problem waiting to happen. It hasn't happened yet, so I could be mistaken.

I'd still rather it be an easily replaceable USB connector.

Most reactions

Latest posts