does any one still have a ipad 1?

Discussion in 'iPad 1 Forum' started by thomasmaca45, Feb 24, 2013.

1. thomasmaca45

thomasmaca45 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i was wondering what condition is it in?

does it still work?
    is it fast?
    Moderator note:your other post, a duplication, was deleted
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0
    My sister has my iPad1 that I got in September 2010. AFAIK, it works as well as the day I bought it. Comparatively speaking, no, it's not as fast as the newer generations (or as light! :)), but she is quite pleased with it.

iPad1s are still awsome tablets. The only limitation they have is the the fact that they were (are?) the first, so they are missing all the speed and RAM improvements/increases. Oh, and they can't go higher than iOS 5.1.1, so you will miss out on some of the newer apps.

But, to a person that didn't have an iPad (like my sister)? She is thrilled, ecstatic and in love. So, I think the iPad1 is doing just fine. :)

Marilyn
    • Like Like x 2
  3. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
    Ratings:
    +602 / 0
    A colleague at work has one. He's very frugal and says he intends to use it until it "starts to smoke." :)

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Elizellen

Elizellen iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    I still use my original IPad bought when they first came out in UK and used most days since without problems.

Since Santa brought me a mini as an early Christmas present I only use my original Ipad when in bed - watching films or TV catchup or listening to audiobooks while reading and dumping emails in a dozen different accounts as well as using Safari to websurf, ebaying, facebooking or playing card games or backgammon or word games if having a lie-in in the morning and while going to sleep at night.

I do like the extra bonus in my mini Ipad of having a camera and it being lighter and smaller so more easy to put in a handbag when out and about, but have no problems with keeping and using the original model.
  5. Al Rogers

Al Rogers iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I still have mine and the wife has hers,still as good as the we got them.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Fid

Fid iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    I still have mine. It works just fine. I haven't noticed any problem with it at all. It has a back cover on it and a screen protector. It still looks new. Apple makes a good product. GarageBand, Animoog, iSequence all work fine on it. I was using it earlier today. It only has 32GB, but that isn't a problem. I only got close to filling it up one time because I had too many movies stored on it. If you are thinking of getting one remember that there is no camera, so apps that require one, such as video conferencing apps, won't work. The highest iOS that is available for it is 5.1.1. Apps that require 6.0 won't work on it either.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. HappyPelican

HappyPelican iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I gave my iPad 1 to my son and it works just fine:) I notice a difference in speed compared to my iPad 3 but it's still as awesome as the day it came out of the box!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    My husband and I gave away our iPad 1s. They were in good physical condition, and the batteries were still going strong, but performance had declined.

Specifically for our uses, browsing became slower and crashes happened with more frequency. So in our case, no, they didn't function as well as they did when they came out of the box. The reason, as shown on diagnostics logs at the time: not enough RAM in iPad 1.

The limited RAM was overtaxed by firmware starting with iOS 5, and with newer apps that had been updated to take advantage of such advances. Other contributors to declining performance: iPad 1s were introduced before Apple launched its version of multitasking on iPads. The hardware was increasingly being asked to do more. Apple realized that was the case, which is why it cut off firmware updates for iPad 1, so that performance wouldn't decline even further.

Any iPad is still better than no iPad, IMO. But if you buy an iPad 1 now, you should be realistic about what you'll get.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. intillzah

intillzah iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I have mine, it's a 64gb model and I still love it. Proalby will be alongslde a new ipad mini this summer..

EDIT: Summer came early at my house, I got a 16GB Ipad Mini...:)
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Free Settler

Free Settler iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I find this response very useful, so thanks. Like an earlier poster in this thead, my wife and I got original iPads when first released and have used them relentlessly since. They are the 16G with cellular models. We've been reluctant to upgrade because they've done everything perfectly and, well, they aren't broken..

But, as it happens, I have been noticing lately that it's been crashing more and was blaming the router. The post above though suggests I might have been a bit unfair on the poor router. On reflection, the crashes don't happen on sites like this, but rather on those of newspapers and magazines etc, where bells and whistles abound. Maybe this is where the RAM limitation is most crucial.

The post above also helps explain another problem that materialised with the upgrade to iOS 5; viz, the time lag in finding a full email address from a prompt. Again, maybe the RAM limitation is one if the culprits; kinda makes sense, I guess.

And worst of all, I've found to my horror that a couple of my fave apps are no longer available for iPad 1 :-(((

Okay, so maybe it's true I have short arms and deep pockets but I suspect now that should a mini with retina display arrive sometime soon, it might be time to make the leap. I reckon I'm finally ready :)
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  11. jwt873

jwt873 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    I'm still running a 3G iPad1 with 32 Gig memory.. I've had it for two years. It's still in great shape and the battery seems to be holding out. All I really use it for is listening to streaming internet music, browsing the web when I'm on the road, GPS navigation, and using it as a portable picture album to show photos to friends. Since that's all I really need it for, I don't have much need to upgrade.
  12. EeZee

EeZee iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My father still uses his, still in perfect condition and quick!
  13. Fid

Fid iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    I'll be parting with my iPad 1 this weekend. I'm giving it to my granddaughter. She is very young and loves to use the iDevices that are at her home. She loves the iToys. When she heard that I was giving her my old iPad she wanted to come over right then. They live just over two hours away.
  14. Califkate

Califkate iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have had my ipad1 since Feb 2011. It is in excellent condition. It is well protected. I love it. But it seems to bog down, get slow in response to my commands and I'm finding some apps don't work like they did before. I know how to clean up the iPad to make it work better but it is getting to the point where it is even too slow for the gdaughter so I'm considering upgrading and will keep this one for my e reading, my granddaughter and to show photos. I'm always reluctant to "upgrade". New isn't necessarily better.
  15. BurgGirl

BurgGirl iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you don't already have the iPad 1, I would think about it again. I've had mine almost since the iPad came out and still love it and use it many times a day - but - I can no longer update some of my favorite apps because of the ram concerns others have mentioned. For the past few months a lot of my apps have been crashing, even Facebook and occasionally Safari. That's really not acceptable so my hope is to replace it with the version that comes out this year, possibly a retna display mini.
  16. Tech_Junkie

Tech_Junkie iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've had mine since Christmas 2011. It still works great! I can still update almost all of my apps! I use mine for work. ( I'm a journalist) I still can update Pages which cheers me up greatly. I absolutely love my first gen. The model is iPad 1 32GB Wifi. I love mine!
  17. intillzah

intillzah iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I still have mine, I use it in the bedroom as a clock and internet radio. And it's still does all I want it to do. I will admit, the crashes are a bit more frequent, but it's still liveable..
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Tech_Junkie

Tech_Junkie iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mine crashes a lot more now, than when I first got it!
  19. orthoghost

orthoghost iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    oh yes i have mine and works well for me. just jailbroke it 2 days back; looking forward to using it a bit more than just as an e book reader.
    got it from the first lot long back and has worked well till date now has started crashng once in a while daily.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  20. mantarkus

mantarkus iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As I mentioned in another similar thread, I still use my iPad 1 iOS 5.1.1 jailbroken to play games, watch movies and browsing. I have no need to update since,as others have mentioned, are intended for either the iPhone 5 larger screen or IOS 6. An update doesn't really mean upgrade. I have no need for a camera, I don't video chat. Besides I have a REAL camera for photos.