What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do your kids use the iPad for bedtime books

marchold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We just started to let our son have iPad books for about 50% of his bedtime reading. Any other parents doing the same?

What do you think?

Anyone looking for good recommendations?

Lisajo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No iPad books for bedtime here, my daughter would be straight into playing with apps as soon as I left the room! I would if she was younger and I still read to her though.

OP
M

marchold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No iPad books for bedtime here, my daughter would be straight into playing with apps as soon as I left the room! I would if she was younger and I still read to her though.

I had never considered leaving the room:). It's almost funny how quickly Jack and the Beanstalk would be turned off and 3D Mini Golf would be turned on.

For us we sit next to our son and do some negation over books. Like last night he asked for iPad books. I said ok but that there was only time for 2 because its late. And when the 2nd book he wanted had mini games. I asked him to pick between The Tale of Petter Rabbit and Astrojammies. Which are better for bedtime. He picked the 2nd book and after that we turned out the light.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our 5 yr old likes to read books on our iPad.

We read The night before Christmas, the night before Christmas, and last night, we read one pizza, one penny. Great books and both free. Tonight we read Bella the Dragon, from the iBooks store; also free.

Her reading skills and comprehension have improved quite a bit since we brought our iPad home. We have three folders dedicated to phonics,reading/sounds/writing, and sight words. We even have a few learning apps for our 19 month old.

Besides the kids, I find myself reading more since getting the iPad. I'm more of a magazine and newspaper reader, while my wife is mostly a book reader.

I'm sure that most parents are already aware of the Disney interactive books. Pretty neat for both children and parents alike. I like that you can replace the narrators voice with your own, and read to your child, or your child can record their voice and read back to you or themselves. Electronic reading is new for the whole family, and were enjoying it so far. We still mix in traditional books checked out from the library, but we're finding the convenience of having reading material wherever/whenever is hard to beat.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I make it a point to sit down and have storytime with my daughter every night before lights-out, and it's almost always with regular books.

"iPad time", on the other hand, is an incentive reward to be earned, not an entitlement, and how she chooses to spend that time - playing games or interactive eBooks - is up to her. I'm personally not fussed whether a book is digital or dead-tree-pulp, as long as she enjoys and develops a love of reading.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My grandkids love auto play picture books on the iPad. I always let them see one before bedtime when I'm babysitting.

firebrow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read to my kids using the ipad just as if it were a regular bedtime reader. right now they're fond of Little Miss Peep in the Land of Giant Feet. I've read it about 20 times, they're not getting tired of it. I like using the ipad because it's nice to read with the lights already out.

buttercupmoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My kids love reading this adorable garden counting iBook at nighttime (In the Garden with the LittleWeeds). They enjoy looking at the gorgeous illustrations that have various critters hiding amongst the pages (think bumble bees, mice, little bugs). Even if your child already knows how to count, they will enjoy the pretty illustrations!

itunes.apple.com/us/book/in-garden-littleweeds/id499614740?mt=11

cryaway

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have kids, but if I did then I would just load the iPad up with lots of kids books and let them read whichever one they want. If they wanted to play games on it instead, that would be fine too. They have to discover the joy of reading on their own, if you force it on them, then they will be turned off by it. Just my thoughts. Don't mind me, I'm a little crazy.

Klarktx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using the IPad for primary books.

Just finished Rikki Tikki Tavi last week.
Started on Tom Sawyer Friday. It seems natural to them and I.

Most reactions

Latest posts