What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finding kids bedtime stories

Jane Welford

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iTunes store doesn't have a listing for kids books, let alone a sub category for picture books/bedtime stories. Has anyone any ideas how to find such apps? I don't need games and interactive stuff, just nicely illustrated picture books. I have found "The Wacky Trainers" by Mellie Carroll, which is great, but I need to find more similar apps.

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember a few weeks ago a member here posted about this and she is working on a website, check at this link.

digital-storytime.com/index.php

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On your computer open iTunes and go to the App Store tab. Over on the right are some quick links. Try the Apps for Kids link. It is probably temporary, but should do for now.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Call me old school - but I've downloaded a bunch of classic children's books off iBooks for free, like the complete Beatrix Potter, Winnie the Pooh, assorted tales by the Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen, etc etc.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many of these fairy tales in their original versions are rather gruesome and violent; you do have to exercise discretion as to which ones are suitable or adapted for more modern sensibilities.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, but who said the witch was "wicked" to begin with? If a bunch of kids came along and started eating your home, wouldn't you have a right to defend your homestead? :)

Seriously, though, sometimes I am wary of the messages that fairy tales are sending our kids. Like in The Little Mermaid (the Disney animated version), where Ariel wilfully disobeys her father and gets herself into trouble, all for the sake of a good-looking man whom she barely knows, and who barely knows her (esp when she can't even talk.)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Independence and self-reliance is probably the most common theme of children's books. For a child that is almost the definition of adventure, to face the world on their own and win.

Reaction score
The iTunes store doesn't have a listing for kids books, let alone a sub category for picture books/bedtime stories. Has anyone any ideas how to find such apps? I don't need games and interactive stuff, just nicely illustrated picture books. I have found "The Wacky Trainers" by Mellie Carroll, which is great, but I need to find more similar apps.
Amen! Kids search on iPad is very fragmented...

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I reviewed one version of Hansel & Gretel recently and the story didn't even bother making the house tasty looking or having the kids eat it ... the witch just tells them to come in and do chores and they obeyed for no reason.

As to alternative versions, I'm a huge fan of Bill Willingham's ongoing "Fables" graphic novel series on the Vertigo imprint - most definitely not the Snow Whites and Cinderellas and Big Bad Wolves that we grew up with - and I can't wait for my kids to be able to enjoy it as well, one day.

Zzzz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jessie's Jungle

If you're still looking for a good bedtime story or picture book then I'd recommend Jessie's Jungle. The story is really well-written and the artwork is very nice. Most importantly the interactions are very simple to perform so even the youngest of kids shouldn't have any problems with them. They have a website where you can see some screenshots.

KibaKiba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To find new and unique children's picture books in the iBookstore, search "Kiba Kiba Books" - There are 7 picture books illustrated by children. At the end of each story, there is a creative art challenge (around the theme of the book) that kids are asked to complete. After they create, they can submit their images/artwork to Kiba Kiba Books online at kibakiba [dot] com. Have fun!

JodyWright

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. It's very hard to find picture books and bedtime stories in any organized fashion. I have developed two fully animated ebooks for the iPad (a written text and full 3D animation on each page) and it would be delightful if they had different categories for children's enhanced books like this that combine animation with the story. They sort of get lost in the general childrens category at the ibookstore.
Jody Wright, author
SECRETS HUMAN KIDS SHOULD KNOW and BREAKFAST ON PLANET OBIEDO.

Most reactions