What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New book

iMarkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a new book. But I don't know what to make it about! Do you guys have any ideas? It has to be kid-friendly. KTHXBYE

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Start by writing down anything that comes into your head, particularly your dreams. Get into the habit of doing it, just in note form. Not sure whether you are able to carry your iPad around with you, but if you can, use Notes on that, as an example.

When you read through your notes, make sure to write anything down that comes into your head while you are reading.

That advice is from Neil Peart's song writing method.

Read a book every day, and write as much as you can, not necessarily with the intention of writing a complete novel. Use your writing as part of your notes.

From Isaac Asimov, on How to write Science Fiction.

Start with an idea. You only need half a page to convey the entire story. Make sure your half a page has a beginning, a middle and an end. Develop your characters to the point where you feel you know them, care about them and understand what they would do in any situation. Then flesh out your story with the details. If your idea is solid and your characters well developed, they will write the story for you.

That's more or less what Arthur C Clarke wrote in the back of one of his anthologies.

That should get you going. By the way, I've never written a book, so don't take my word for it.

OP
iMarkey

iMarkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Start by writing down anything that comes into your head, particularly your dreams. Get into the habit of doing it, just in note form. Not sure whether you are able to carry your iPad around with you, but if you can, use Notes on that, as an example.

When you read through your notes, make sure to write anything down that comes into your head while you are reading.

That advice is from Neil Peart's song writing method.

Read a book every day, and write as much as you can, not necessarily with the intention of writing a complete novel. Use your writing as part of your notes.

From Isaac Asimov, on How to write Science Fiction.

Start with an idea. You only need half a page to convey the entire story. Make sure your half a page has a beginning, a middle and an end. Develop your characters to the point where you feel you know them, care about them and understand what they would do in any situation. Then flesh out your story with the details. If your idea is solid and your characters well developed, they will write the story for you.

That's more or less what Arthur C Clarke wrote in the back of one of his anthologies.

That should get you going. By the way, I've never written a book, so don't take my word for it.

Thanks for that info Kevin!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go meta.

Book 1: How I Learned to Write a Book About Writing Books.
Book 2: How to Write a Book: The Intermission.
Book 3: The Book I Wrote While Writing About How to Write Books.

five years later. . .

Book4: How Not to Write the Great American Novel.

OP
iMarkey

iMarkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm making a new book called "Super Smash Bros. Academy" and I was wondering how I could get the font type for it. How do I get the gray outline thing? Please help! Thanks!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't add fonts to an iPad without jailbreaking it.

Do yourself a favor, and don't worry about formatting until the book is complete. Right now, the content is more important than the presentation.

Mh43cliff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Find a topic you are passionate about and begin researching it! If you write about something you love it shows through in your work!

Most reactions

Latest posts