What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Displaying pictures on ipad 2

David1965

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all - my camera is currently set to take pictures at a pretty high resolution and the images are around 8 MB each (approx 3200 by 2400 pixels). It seems like this is a huge waste of space when 99.9% of them are just viewed on a laptop or ipad and we make a few snapfish books a year. If I dropped it to half of that it would seem the picture would be the same on the ipad or printed page as long as it is 5 by 7 or below.

I am no expert at this stuff - I am looking for advice if I am correct on this thinking or not.

Thanks!

CRH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
David1965 said:
Hi all - my camera is currently set to take pictures at a pretty high resolution and the images are around 8 MB each (approx 3200 by 2400 pixels). It seems like this is a huge waste of space when 99.9% of them are just viewed on a laptop or ipad and we make a few snapfish books a year. If I dropped it to half of that it would seem the picture would be the same on the ipad or printed page as long as it is 5 by 7 or below.

I am no expert at this stuff - I am looking for advice if I am correct on this thinking or not.

Thanks!

David,

I assume you are talking about a DSLR camera, Nikon, Canon etc. 8 Mb is completely unnecessary for viewing on laptops, iPad etc.

Please check your computer for settings. Even the very low resolution will give you excellent definition. For good resolution for laptops etc., 5 megapixels is more than sufficient. Large files like your present settings are producing are really only for professionals who need to make very large prints like 20" x 16" and more.

I repeat, the best thing is to read the setting section of the camera manual or ask in your local camera shop

Rgds

CRH

Most reactions

Latest posts