What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Is The Best Image Pixel Size For iPad 2?

artman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just purchased an iPad 2 64Gb. I want to add photographs to my iPad. I want the photographs to completely fill the screen but still be small enough to use the minimum amount of memory space. A smaller image size will also make them more responsive when navigating between images.

Does anyone know the image pixel dimensions that I should use to have the photographs completely fill the iPad screen? I am assuming a resolution of 72 pixels per inch is sufficient because the screen is essentially a video screen.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Dpi (or ppi) is irrelevant. Dpi only applies to print size. We're talking pure pixel size here only.

The optimum photo size is the iPad size - 1024x768, and in a decent jpg compression. With this size your iPad will simply swim through all your photos effortlessly.

But, in reality, the iPad is fluid and fast enough to effortlessly display and sort through photos of any shape and size. No conversion necessary. Try it.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, iTunes converts your images to a device friendly resolution when you synchronise photos, so you really don't need to do anything to your source material at all.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dpi (or ppi) is irrelevant. Dpi only applies to print size. We're talking pure pixel size here only.

The optimum photo size is the iPad size - 1024x768, and in a decent jpg compression. With this size your iPad will simply swim through all your photos effortlessly.

But, in reality, the iPad is fluid and fast enough to effortlessly display and sort through photos of any shape and size. No conversion necessary. Try it.

Also, iTunes converts your images to a device friendly resolution when you synchronise photos, so you really don't need to do anything to your source material at all.

Very informative. I learned much from these two posts. Thanks, boys!

Most reactions

Latest posts