What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Display - ipad to portrait oriented TV

zandstrax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there, I'm trying to hook my ipad up to my tv that's set up portrait (up and down) and i want whats on the iPad displayed vertically too.

my macbook has the option of "rotate 90 degrees right", so it is oriented correctly, i just cant find any settings to do so on the iPad... help please!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there, I'm trying to hook my ipad up to my tv that's set up portrait (up and down) and i want whats on the iPad displayed vertically too.

my macbook has the option of "rotate 90 degrees right", so it is oriented correctly, i just cant find any settings to do so on the iPad... help please!

Have you, by chance, got the orientation lock switched on? The iPad screen normally orientates itself automatically - either to portrait or landscape - depending on how it's being held. However, there is a switch and/or setting that can disable that, so perhaps you have that enabled? It depends which version of the iPad operating system iOS you have as to how this lock can be disabled. Let us know and we'll try to help

Tim

OP
Z

zandstrax

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Have you, by chance, got the orientation lock switched on? The iPad screen normally orientates itself automatically - either to portrait or landscape - depending on how it's being held. However, there is a switch and/or setting that can disable that, so perhaps you have that enabled? It depends which version of the iPad operating system iOS you have as to how this lock can be disabled. Let us know and we'll try to help

Tim

thanks for th
this is harder to explain than i hoped,

imagine a normal 50" tv. now plug the ipad into it, it rotates and auto rotates based on the ipad now take the TV and tip it on its side into landscape orientation. the ipads image onscreen is now 90 degrees to the left or right (depending on which way the TV was rotated). i want it so the image on the tv is then straightened/rotated 90 degrees again, so it is in alignment with the TV.

think of the macbook's "rotate 90 degrees" output option when selecting displays

Zanny

Reaction score
zandstrax,

The mirroring feature of the iPad 2 always transmits the exact orientation of the iPad screen. It does not have any configuration options, it is therefore not possible to change the orientation by 90degrees.

For this feature to work, you would need to jailbreak the iPad and install DisplayOut, it let's you orient the output video signal by either 90, 180, or 270 degrees.

So the main question is, whether you have an iPad 1, or 2. As the above method using DisplayOut only works on iPad 1, until an iPad 2 jb get's released.

Most reactions

Latest posts