What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappointing Speaker

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last night while in my tent camping I tried watching a movie for the first time ever on my new iPad3. Why didn't Apple allow a bit higher volume adjustment? Is anyone else having difficulty hearing the low volume on this? I ended up taping a piece of cardboard near to speaker to cup and bell reflex the sound toward me. Helped a tiny bit.
And... what is the best Small (camping), cheap, portable 3rd party speaker to purchase?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd suggest this product for camping because it's lightweight and requires no battery/charging:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/498101635/soundjaw-unlimited-sound-enhancer-for-ipad-iphone

Only catch is, this product (new one coming that fits iPad over most cases) isn't out yet, but should debut shortly, judging by the maker's previous success with his first product.

Another alternative, which is free if you think it'll provide enough of a sound boost:

Take any old gift card or credit card, cut at a 45-degree angle or so. Slip card between case and iPad where your speaker is. I use this every once in awhile if I just need a slight boost.

A pricier alternative: Philips SB7200 Series ShoqBox Wireless Portable Speaker - Apple Store (U.S.)

Personally, I'm very happy with my two Jambox Bluetooth speakers, which cost about the same as the rugged speaker above, but I don't take them camping or do any kind of rugged activity with them.

You can find them for less than $199, but here's a link just FYI:

JAMBOX by Jawbone | Hi-fi speaker & speakerphone, Wireless and ultra-portable

Last edited:
L

Lunar

I don't know the source of the film you were playing, but when I rip a film to MP4 I always increase the volume setting in the ripping software settings. I find this helps to ensure there's more than enough volume when playing on my iPad3. You can really increases it quite a bit as the iPad seems quite capable of handling the higher sound output without any distortion.

OP
K

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lunar said:
I don't know the source of the film you were playing, but when I rip a film to MP4 I always increase the volume setting in the ripping software settings. I find this helps to ensure there's more than enough volume when playing on my iPad3. You can really increases it quite a bit as the iPad seems quite capable of handling the higher sound output without any distortion.

Thanks, You are correct. I was watching using AvPlayerHD which can play the MKV or AVI format. Next time I will convert to MP4 and try again.
Also, the SoundJaw for $13.00 looks like a cheap solution, or a sliced credit card. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've got a couple of tweakers (search for it on Amazon). The general design is very portable, quickly charged, and adequate for reasonably quite spaces. Sound quality (on the ones I have) is better than the iPad, but you're not going to care for music on it. You can find them on sale for very cheap.

For a bit more volume I have an iHome iDM12. I set it behind the iPad and it does a fair job for watching movies, even with the AC on in the background. Though it's not loud enough for my rather noisy truck. Sound quality is ok for non-audiophile me, but of course this small a speaker doesn't have much base. It's also bluetooth, so no cables to fiddle with (until you have to charge it). The included stand (and speaker cover) they show only works without an iPad case, in case you're tempted to make a decision based on the pictures.

What I'd really like is one of those Jawbone JamBox speakers; but not quite badly enough to fork over the dough. My toy budget is being conserved for the next iPhone. But if you're after decent sound in a small, rechargeable, bluetooth package; they're the current standard to beat. They come in two sizes.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts