What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zagg Mate Idea, Issues

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why did you guys not offer any support for a locking tab or something like that. I would be afraid of it coming out.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Believe me, the iPad "falling out" is not an issue, at least it wasn't for the iPad 1 and the original Zaggmate. It sits it there VERY snugly due to the way it's designed.

gmaines

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got my zagg 2 case, fits snug and it will not fall out. Great case, well worth the price. Just waiting for the leather skin.

bengun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a similar problem: I purchased the Zaggmate and the Invisible Shield for my iPad. Installation of the Shield went smoothly, but after a month - I noticed a purple banding, or fringing on the Shield. It ran the entire length of my iPad, and was about an inch wide. Thinking this was a manufacturing fault, I replaced this Shield with another. 30 days later, I again saw the purple banding. This time I examined it closely and found the banding matched exactly, in location, width and length, the 1" "bar" in the Zaggmate, that shows the Zaggmate logo, and contains the on/off switch, the status light, and the bluetooth light. Here's what I concluded: when in the Zaggmate case, the Shield on the iPad touches that 1" wide "bar" - the discoloration occurs when the chemical(s) used in that 1" bar react with the composition of the Shield. I've been in contact with Zagg - they hadn't heard of such a problem, and are currently trying to find a solution. Anyone else notice this?

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bengun said:
Here's a similar problem: I purchased the Zaggmate and the Invisible Shield for my iPad. Installation of the Shield went smoothly, but after a month - I noticed a purple banding, or fringing on the Shield. It ran the entire length of my iPad, and was about an inch wide. Thinking this was a manufacturing fault, I replaced this Shield with another. 30 days later, I again saw the purple banding. This time I examined it closely and found the banding matched exactly, in location, width and length, the 1" "bar" in the Zaggmate, that shows the Zaggmate logo, and contains the on/off switch, the status light, and the bluetooth light. Here's what I concluded: when in the Zaggmate case, the Shield on the iPad touches that 1" wide "bar" - the discoloration occurs when the chemical(s) used in that 1" bar react with the composition of the Shield. I've been in contact with Zagg - they hadn't heard of such a problem, and are currently trying to find a solution. Anyone else notice this?

I've noticed the "ZaggMate" logo being somewhat imprinted on my iPad screen when removing the iPad, but a simply wipe of the screen removes it in my case... Other than that, I haven't had any issues like you speak of...

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
bengun said:

I've noticed the "ZaggMate" logo being somewhat imprinted on my iPad screen when removing the iPad, but a simply wipe of the screen removes it in my case... Other than that, I haven't had any issues like you speak of...

It might be easy to do and not a big deal, but why is it our job? Wouldn't a better solution be to eliminate the issue so the consumer does not need to worry about it?

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bob Maxey said:
It might be easy to do and not a big deal, but why is it our job? Wouldn't a better solution be to eliminate the issue so the consumer does not need to worry about it?

Absolutely - I agree with you - I was just pointing out that in my case, it didn't permanently damage the screen protector or anything like it did in the OPs case. Even the little "ZaggMate" logo appearing on my screen protector (almost as if being slightly "imprinted" on it) after being in the case for a while is annoying (even though a wipe of the screen does get rid of it in my case) though!

Would be nice to see it 'fixed" of course, especially when it sounds like it interferes even more with their own InvisiShield product! Ouch...

gwlaw99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lay flat screen up?
The photos from the website imply that the ipad 2 version can hold the ipad 2 laying flat with the screen side up. Is that correct? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gwlaw99 said:
lay flat screen up?
The photos from the website imply that the ipad 2 version can hold the ipad 2 laying flat with the screen side up. Is that correct? Sorry if this has been asked before.

It doesn't appear to hold the iPad in that position. You can rest it there but it's not locked in.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad lays great that way. Some people really like that angle for drawing or reading when on your lap. It works great on iPad 1 and 2 models. Regarding the ZAGGmate logo getting on screen and color affecting invisibleSHIELD, I haven't heard of that before. Perhaps the finish is a little off on that strip. Check with customer service and see if we need to replace your ZAGGmate. Sorry for the trouble.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG said:
Regarding the ZAGGmate logo getting on screen and color affecting invisibleSHIELD, I haven't heard of that before. Perhaps the finish is a little off on that strip. Check with customer service and see if we need to replace your ZAGGmate. Sorry for the trouble.

I must clarify - in my case, I had/have an anti-glare screen protector on my iPad. Maybe that allows the logo to make a "impression" of itself easier... Depending on how hard I push the ipad and zaggmate together, I can also see where the "one inch bar" was. Again, I attributed this to the anti-glare screen protector and since it "wipes" away easily, it's no big deal for me - i'm anal about keeping the screen clean, so I clean it frequently anyway...

Not sure I've ever put my ipad in the ZaggMate without a screen protector or it to see if the same thing would happen (and I'm NOT about to take this protector off to check - do you know how hard it is to get a screen protector on the iPad perfectly straight, with no little pieces of dust, etc?)!!! It drives me crazy putting these things on. I love how they are say that they are washable and re-usable too - yeah, right! Note - I am NOT talking about Zagg protectors since I've never owned one - i'm referring to the peel and stick type (no water or adhesive needed).

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell/have experienced - that bar is the foam-like material cleaning the screen of the iPad. You get the logo because it hasn't got the cleaning qualities of the plain rubber part. Just a wipe needed to get the rest of the iPad as cleans as that bar. This is what I've seen with my iPad/Zaggmate combo - no screen protector.

I've always considered this to be a good sign that the plastic keys are indeed not touching the screen ... just the soft foam parts...

Marilyn

si_biscuit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zagg: desperate measures with zagg/mate keyboard

Hi Zagg-- I'm not sure if you're still following this forum but I have a question that's similar to one you've addressed here in the past. I know it's ancient technology now, but i recently acquired an Ipad1 (my wife's hand-me-down... she upgraded) and I picked up a Zaggmate keyboard on Amazon to go with it. It worked great out of the box-- no problems with pairing or charging. However, as others have found, the USB outlet for charging is a bit flimsy. On my 3rd or 4th recharge, part of the outlet's metal socket came off when i removed my USB plug from the keyboard, and since then I can no longer recharge the (now quite dead) keyboard. I can't get a refund from the seller, so I'm determined to try to fix it myself, as I have nothing to lose. After examining the keyboard I feel pretty sure that I can access the USB connection and re-solder the socket if a pry off the plastic strip that sits atop the on-off switch (the strip with the zagg/mate logo). Do you happen to know if I can, in fact, get to the USB socket that way? or if not, is there another way? I'm more reluctant to try to get to it by prying off the metal back panel, as I'm afraid i'd damage the key mechanisms. (If you don't know the answer, is there a customer-support number at the company for contacting a technician? I do realize there's a high likelihood that i'll destroy the keyboard but, again, it's not working so I don't have anything to lose... The cost of shipping it out to a repairman would be more than I paid for the thing.)
thanks!!

Most reactions

Latest posts