What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digitizer Replacement Help

jm97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there I'm looking for some help regarding an iPad 2 I've bought as a project.The screen Is not broken but is not stuck down correctly everything else works perfectly.How would I either fix the screen or replace it? Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Visit iFixit - pick the iPad 2 model (I've taken the link to that point) and find the guide desired - detailed steps w/ images will be available, the tools needed outlined, and the degree of difficulty described - good luck! Dave

A. GOODWIN

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I realize this is a Jan post . Also I too agree with Giradman on this link .
Sorta puts it like it is but in a more usable friendly guidelines. Ummmm
There is two things that I have seen and found on the screen /glass
setting that is often over looked in these tutorials .
The first thing and this is in order is the mastic that is applied . This mastic is what sets or bonds and helps as a moisture barrier , the digitizer/screen glass to the body of the I pad . In the old mastic may be a peice of glass or some mastic that was not thoroughly and completely cleaned off. Always take the old completely down till you see the body of I pad. And this is just the reason why. These tolerances are very close and if one thinks that the old mastic + the new will better the seal . Wrong answer. Completely clean .
The #2part which is a little aggravating is the bezel trim . Now you can re use the old one if you take care in the removal of the old but heck ,,,,
For a Coupla dollars more just buy one ....the problem that I have encountered with these rascals is they will want to twist slightly ,
When you install , leaving a wrinkle or pucker in the plastic and it will retain the memory of the crease or wrinkle. And it will go back together
But leave a raised or high place in the screen and is especially noticeable when viewing looking down the edge .
I have replaced 12 so far and not all mine I have devoloped a trick for the bezel and works well. If you apply a small amount of silicone (1eye dropper amount to each of the corners let it set for an 1 hr then install you have no worrys. Why the silicone ? Because it is not fully set in 1 hr and is set long enough to hold in place . And there is not that much used and should it need removed will be no more difficult than removing any way ...,.. Just a bunch of words. Best to Ya !

Most reactions

Latest posts