What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Developers Ponder Creating New Versions of their Apps to Sell Again with iOS 7

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
evolution-of-ios.jpg

The newest version of iOS will soon be upon us, and the array of benefits and new features it will bring are plentiful. In fact, the change is so dramatic that several developers of your favorite apps are considering using the launch of iOS 7 as an opportunity to relaunch new versions of their own apps and re-charge for them. Gedeon Maheux, co-founder of the Iconfactory, recently posed the following to the developer community,

I’m sure many users are expecting developers of popular applications to simply update interface elements, compile some code and easily drop a brand spanking new version of their app onto the App Store for free. There’s little doubt that the majority of iOS 7 updates to existing apps will be free (which will please Apple), but I suspect there will be a surprising number of developers who will use the launch of the new operating system to completely re-boot their app, and why not? The visual and interactive paradigms iOS 7 mark a natural breaking off point and a perfect opportunity to re-coup costs. Some existing paid apps might even adopt an iOS 7 only strategy which means they’ll have no choice but to charge again.

We decided this was worth sharing with you guys and posing the question to you... would you be willing to repay for a newly revamped version of your favorite apps just because iOS 7 changes things up so much?

Thanks to our tipster for sending this to us!

Source: Gizmodo

akula1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What a freaking crock!!!!

I paid for my apps already, why should I pay for something I've already bought? I bought & paid for Scrabble for my iphone, and use it on my ipad. It's one game, I own it, so why should I have to pay for it again when they come out with a new iOS? I still want the game I have, I don't want to upgrade anything, I like what I have.

This is just a money generating scheme between Apple & the developers.

I think we need the government start looking in anti-trust laws. I have an Iphone 5, Iphone 4S, & 2 Ipads, hasn't Apple got enough money out of me? do they really need to charge me again for the same crap???

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh that's unfair if the apps you paid will be paid again. But I think not all apps right? :)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh that's unfair if the apps you paid will be paid again. But I think not all apps right? :)

I dunno, but how this plays out will probably affect whether some people upgrade to OS7 or not. I'd like to think any legacy app owners would get the upgrade free but well have to see.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If an app is significantly different and useful to me, I might be willing to pay. If it's just superficial tweaking, I won't pay, and I probably would avoid apps by any developer that tries to gouge users.

I'm not against developers making a living. If enough upgrading is done between firmware versions, I can see why they'd want to charge for retooling their apps. I don't expect that having paid 99 cents for any app should entitle me to a lifetime of the developer's support. I try to be reasonable as a consumer, and I expect developers to be as well. Those who aren't probably will not survive long term unless their product is indispensable to many users. Given the competition out there, it's hard to imagine any developers being indispensable.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I paid less than $2.00 for the app then I would contemplate purchasing the iOS 7 version if it requires payment. More than $2.00 and I will likely be looking for a comparable app from a competing developer. Suffice it to say, developers walk a fine line here - on one hand they need to think about income, on the other hand they risk losing customers.

I'm a developer myself, and I would never charge for an app that was already paid for.. regardless of how much work is required by a system revision - it's just bad business. Don't punish the customer simply because Apple requires you to do more work.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If an app is significantly different and useful to me, I might be willing to pay. If it's just superficial tweaking, I won't pay, and I probably would avoid apps by any developer that tries to gouge users.

I'm not against developers making a living. If enough upgrading is done between firmware versions, I can see why they'd want to charge for retooling their apps. I don't expect that having paid 99 cents for any app should entitle me to a lifetime of the developer's support. I try to be reasonable as a consumer, and I expect developers to be as well. Those who aren't probably will not survive long term unless their product is indispensable to many users. Given the competition out there, it's hard to imagine any developers being indispensable.

Well stated. I mean, I've gotten so much use out of some of my apps that it almost seems criminal that they were only a buck or two. Even some $5 dollar apps are truly steals. That being said, it doesn't seem right to have to rebut the entire app just for a few OS 7 optimizations. Especially if they are just visual or whatever. Maybe charge a buck for just the OS 7 visual updates or something like hat for those that want them?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a developer myself, and I would never charge for an app that was already paid for.. regardless of how much work is required by a system revision - it's just bad business. Don't punish the customer simply because Apple requires you to do more work.

I doubt any customers will stop you if you opt to indenture yourself indefinitely for a buck or two, lol. Your choice of course if that's how you choose to earn your living (or not -- maybe you survive off an ad stream or by selling purchases inside an app, which amounts to being paid).

From my perspective as a consumer and in my own line of work, I expect fair payment in exchange for reasonable work. I don't feel unlimited entitlement having paid once.

Most reactions

Latest posts