What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deleting photos

Iceman541

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me clarify this. Are you saying that if I connect my iPad to my computer, turn off photo sync in iTunes this action will remove the photos that are already on my iPad.?

I have read multiple post from users who are in the same boat as I am. I have yet to read any response that begins to address any practical reason for not being able to select and delete any photo from the iPad. I had hoped that OS6 would address this but apparently it has not. I uploaded a working file of around 5,500 photos to work with and cull. I had no idea that the ability for simple deletion in the software was beyond the capability of Apple software engineers.
I am actually considering a master reset to remove them and starting fresh. That will not solve the issue of a crippled instrument. Without being able to perform an action as simple as deletion, the IPad is rendered useless for all practical purposes. Unless I am wrong and I truly hope that I am.

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Iceman541 said:
Let me clarify this. Are you saying that if I connect my iPad to my computer, turn off photo sync in iTunes this action will remove the photos that are already on my iPad.?

I have read multiple post from users who are in the same boat as I am. I have yet to read any response that begins to address any practical reason for not being able to select and delete any photo from the iPad. I had hoped that OS6 would address this but apparently it has not. I uploaded a working file of around 5,500 photos to work with and cull. I had no idea that the ability for simple deletion in the software was beyond the capability of Apple software engineers.
I am actually considering a master reset to remove them and starting fresh. That will not solve the issue of a crippled instrument. Without being able to perform an action as simple as deletion, the IPad is rendered useless for all practical purposes. Unless I am wrong and I truly hope that I am.

Capable the iPad is, that it is not how you want it to be does not mean that it is beyond capabilities of Apple Software Engineers...
If you import your photos with the camera connection kit via SD Card you can do whatever you want!
Also you can organize your photos you have on your device in an Album, and add or remove them there!

"Think different"!!

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

RetPFDLieut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm just as bewildered about this as most other casual users. I copyed pictures onto my iPad by dragging the albums to the iPad using windows explorer, not by syncing the iPad and now I can't delete anything either. I don't want to reset the iPad to the original factory setings as being a computer and iPad novice I'm sure to completely screw something up. I just happened to have started another thread on this same subject yesterday. Why on Gods earth couldn't they just have made an easy way to get rid of some of the pictures you don't want anymore.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Well, you also have to click on the Apply/Sync button at the lower right, but other that that, yes. The purpose of the iTunes photo syncing is to sync a folder
(or album if using iPhotos on a Mac) with the iPad. It's one way sync. It all changes made on/in the computer's folder are duplicated on the iPad. If you turn off that syncing, it will remove the folder and all pictures on the next sync.

A lot of people tend to confuse this with simply copying the photos to the iPad. It's not. Besides only alowing changes on the computer, photos are optimized for viewing on the iPad. What this means in practice is that the photo will be downsized to something that still looks good on the iPad, but takes up less space.

Albums in the iPad have never been more than a quick way to store and share some photos on your iPad. Something to show your relatives and friends. It's not very powerful. Apple does not, (and can't, to be honest) fill every users needs. Some of the apps are just basic function apps. Photos is mostly that, with a few extras having been tagged on since. Those looking for more control need to get a third party app.

But, yes, I agree there should be a simple way to remove an album without iTunes. Sometimes you lose the ability to use iTunes (or decide you don't want to use it anymore). I believe someone mentioned a third party computer app that will allow you to delete synced albums. I don't remember any more than that.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm just as bewildered about this as most other casual users. I copyed pictures onto my iPad by dragging the albums to the iPad using windows explorer, not by syncing the iPad and now I can't delete anything either. I don't want to reset the iPad to the original factory setings as being a computer and iPad novice I'm sure to completely screw something up. I just happened to have started another thread on this same subject yesterday. Why on Gods earth couldn't they just have made an easy way to get rid of some of the pictures you don't want anymore.

What? Into the DCIM folder with the iPad mounted as a USB drive?

That's the only way I can think of doing it directly from Explorer, and I would not recommend doing that. The DCIM folder acts more or less like your camera's SD card. It's fine to copy files from it, but you probably should not copy files to it, any more than you would copy files to your camera and expect to be able to use them there.

Being able to import photos just like a camera is the main reason the DCIM folder exists.

There are usually extra cataloging/tracking files associated with a photos database. Copying the files directly to the iPad would bypass this and possible cause all kinds of problems, like missing thumbnails and not being able to delete the photos.

I might be being a bit of an alarmist this way, but it's really not a good idea to add or remove photos using the USB Drive/DCIM folder.

Anyway, if you added them that way, you may have to delete them that way. And I have no idea how that's going to turn out. Other's here, especially in the Hacking area of the forum may have a better idea of how things work, and what might happen. I'm speculating based on general info and experience with cameras.

If you don't want to use iTunes for photo albums, and many people do not, get a third party photo manager. There are several.

RetPFDLieut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
>twerppoet,,,as I explained I'm not an expert with iPads or computers,,I can't remember exactly how I copied the pics to the iPad from the computer but I beleive I did it the way I explained. That being said IMO you should be able to delete pictures directly off the iPad. I know better now than to even put anymore on mine,,its no big deal that the pics are there.

RetPFDLieut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK,,took the chance I wouldn't screw anything up and unsynced the pictures I didn't want,,,actually only had to do it two times to get it correctly because if I didn't check off every album file I wanted to retain it also removed that file,,end result I did it, but shouldn't have to have access to a computer to simply remove a picture IMHO.

Most reactions

Latest posts