What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Help iCloud Question

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had to put something on my iPad2 and needed memory. I deleted quite a few photos and some videos. My iPad had been syncing photos with iCloud and had extra memory left there.
I made a mistake and deleted some photos that I thought I had on my iPhone also, but I did not. I need the photos now.
I am not iCloud savvy and have never really used its potential. I don't know how to use it.
Would the photos I deleted on my iPad still be on the cloud? At one time they would have synced there but when I delete them and it syncs again, are they lost there too?
If they are there, how could I find them? Is there a way to look at what is on the cloud in my account? Are the photos probably lost? If they are there, how can I move them back to my iPad?
All I have is the free account with 5G,

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iCloud's PhotoStream (I suppose that's what you used) doesn't store your photos, it only syncs them. PhotoStream is just a temporary solution. To store your photos so that it's not easily possible to remove them, you'll need something else.

If you deleted the photos on one device, they will also disappear on the other ones that are synced to it, if/as soon as they are online.

If they are not visible any more on the iPhone, they are lost.

The 5 GB for the iCloud account are used for your backups only. Photos from PhotoStream don't count against that storage. But: if you have a recent backup, where the missing photos are included, then it's possible to get them back: erase all content and settings, and restore from that backup afterwards.

There's also software that could help recover them, which means that you'd need a computer. Search for "recover photos from icloud", this will show a few results from which to choose.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've done this by accident myself early on with photo stream and was not able to retrieve a photo I accidentally deleted...and without a backup. :( sorry...hope that you can retrieve with some of the software which JA has mentioned.

OP
Panama

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. You guys and girls are so smart. Sometimes I think I only use probably 10% of the capability of the iPad. When I get skunked I come here and there is always someone here that knows the scoop. I appreciate your time.
I did not know that if I deleted something on the iPad and it synced with the iPhone that it would delete it there too. I knew that if I ADDED photos that it would add them but I did not know that if I deleted them one place it would delete them on the other device. THAT is why they were gone on the phone too.

Live and learn.
Thanks again.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Photo Stream is just a feature so our photos would be shared on all of our devices. Its not a place to store your photos. After 30 days they would be deleted. You have to manually transfer a copy of those pics though. If you want something that does not delete your photos and sync your photos on any kind of device, laptop, pc, iPad, android tablets, dropbox is the way to go in my case.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you prefer online storage, there's also Box, OneDrive, Google Drive, and quite a few others as well. Dropbox uploads photos from Camera Roll only, so if you import images from a camera to your iPad, it's not a good choice.

Most reactions