What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting history on first ipad2 screen

mikeg68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, first post and hopefully someone can help me before I go nuts. On my ipad2 tonight i just happened to swipe the screen back to the first 'search' page. (blank screen with a search box at the top).
I entered a letter and there was a whole bunch of previous items showing, some of which id rather other people dont find, and some of these were possibly unsent emails from an email account i had on the ipad a long time ago.

Anyway, because i can no longer use that email address (deleted) and the emails were never sent, they still show up. Also, there are other apps etc which show up there.

My question is, is there anyway of deleting these? Its not a case of deleting search history from safari as this is the search history on the ipad.

Anyone?

Many thanks

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to Settings/General/Spotlight Search and deselect anything, particularly mail, that you don't want to show up in a search.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
M

mikeg68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for that, but it only hides things temporarily. If i go back in and re-select the various options, the items are still there.

I have a feeling they are there to stay unless i do a full reset to factory settings. Only thing is I have a lot of photos I dont wish to lose.

Cheers

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also having this problem. It seems to be discussed elsewhere in various places on the web. I made myself a note about it on my stock iPad 2.

There is a persistent problem with the iPad Spotlight search function. It ‘finds’ and displays the Sender, Title, Date, and first line in previously deleted emails (ones that have been completely deleted from the Trash folder on the iPad. The problem has been discussed in various forums.

For me, it looks like it finds stuff back to 8/26/2012. 8/26 is when i updated to iOS 5.1.1. So nothing shows prior to 5.1.1. Possibly the update to iOS 5.1.1 itself erased prior Spotlight email references? I do not remember whether this was a problem with iOS 4.3x.

However, I updated to iOS 6.0 on 10/1/12. Spotlight still finds references to the deleted emails back to 8/26. Question now is why does Spotlight show email references prior to 10/1? Why didn't 6.0 erase the reference emails as 5.1.1 (apparently) did?

From what I can tell, the Spotlight search searches on the Sender, Recipient, and Title of the email. Also, from what I can tell, Spotlight will not search within the body of an email anyway and does not do so with the bogus deleted results.

It is a nuisance that reduces the effectiveness of the Spotlight search feature because of the spurious non-existent email results.

Anyone have anything new on this? Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts