What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delet books from icloud

High201

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I delete a book from iCloud. Also how do I get rid of books purchased on my iPad. No matter what I try works. Please help. I don't want it in the cloud anymore. Please tell me how to do this. I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As far as I know there is no way to hide a purchased book (or other iStore media) on the iPad. You used to be able to do this, but it's been missing for a while.

If you have iTunes on a computer, you can still hide purchases there.

Choose iTunes Store from the Store list on the left, then choose the Books tab at the top.

At the top right, the last link below the Categories pulldown menu (no, not in the menu) is the Purchased link. Click on that.

Now find the book you don't want, mouse over it, and click on the (x) that appears. You'll get a Hide option.

This does not permanently remove the book from your purchases. It just hides it from view when looking at the lists. You can restore it by going into your account settings and unhiding all hidden purchases (or some similar choice, I didn't go looking for the exact option).

In my brief experiment, books hidden using iTunes also became hidden on the iPad.

OP
H

High201

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So basically whatever you purchase goes to iCloud and stays there with no way of getting rid of it. Why can't I have the option to delete stuff permanently. Why can't I do this. I am not liking this iCloud stuff at all and not being able to delete what I want. This is wrong. Thanks for your answer

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I suppose if you look at it as forcing to you keep something it seems wrong. But the other perspective is that once you own the book, it's yours forever (in the sense of however long Apple has an iBooks Store), whether it is on your device or not. It's not like the book takes away any of your iCloud storage space. Apple keeps that content on the store servers, and all you get is a pointer that says it's yours to download whenever you want.

OP
H

High201

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But the point is I don't want it and never will. Why can't I get rid of it. Just don't like that I do not even have the option. I know how to get rid of it. Delete iBooks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Or you could contact Apple iTunes support and ask them to remove it from your account. I'm sure they'll do that, though they will probably give you all the reasons I did before doing so, just to be sure that's what you really want.

OP
H

High201

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I suppose if you look at it as forcing to you keep something it seems wrong. But the other perspective is that once you own the book, it's yours forever (in the sense of however long Apple has an iBooks Store), whether it is on your device or not. It's not like the book takes away any of your iCloud storage space. Apple keeps that content on the store servers, and all you get is a pointer that says it's yours to download whenever you want.

Thanks for your help.

PFen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem only my purchases were through Amazon in my kindle app I have on my ipad. I've deleted them from my library on Amazon, and I've deleted them on my ipad "device". But they still show up on my ipad under cloud. Is there no way to delete them or hide them? Once you delete them on your computer in your Amazon account, you can no longer open them on your ipad without repurchasing them, so I want them gone! I would also prefer that when my kids use my ipad they are not privy to books I may have read in the past. Any suggestions?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem only my purchases were through Amazon in my kindle app I have on my ipad. I've deleted them from my library on Amazon, and I've deleted them on my ipad "device". But they still show up on my ipad under cloud. Is there no way to delete them or hide them? Once you delete them on your computer in your Amazon account, you can no longer open them on your ipad without repurchasing them, so I want them gone! I would also prefer that when my kids use my ipad they are not privy to books I may have read in the past. Any suggestions?

Are you saying the deleted book(s) is still visible on Kindle's cloud or Apple's cloud? I don't know about Apple's cloud, because I don't back up Kindle books that way, but if you delete a Kindle book from you Amazon account, you can no longer see the title on your Kindle cloud or your device (iPad, for instance). You have to delete from Amazon, give it a minute or two, then refresh your device. It should no longer be visible in Kindle's cloud or your iPad.

I know this because I sometimes buy picture books for my young relatives, we read them when I visit, then I delete them because I'll never read those books again once I leave.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can permanently delete Kindle ebooks on Amazon's site. Hold in mind that if you do so you you will have to pay to download them again. Unlike Apple, Amazon will let you delete not only the book, but the fact that you own (and have the right to re-download) the book.

Books that show up in the Cloud section of your Kindle app are not on the iPad, and take up no space. So unless you have some other reason for deleting the book, don't.

To permanently remove a book from your Kindle library, go to Amazon.com, select your account, choose Manage Your Kindle, and sign in. The action button/menu to the right of the book includes a Delete from Library option.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can permanently delete Kindle ebooks on Amazon's site. Hold in mind that if you do so you you will have to pay to download them again. Unlike Apple, Amazon will let you delete not only the book, but the fact that you own (and have the right to re-download) the book.

Books that show up in the Cloud section of your Kindle app are not on the iPad, and take up no space. So unless you have some other reason for deleting the book, don't.

To permanently remove a book from your Kindle library, go to Amazon.com, select your account, choose Manage Your Kindle, and sign in. The action button/menu to the right of the book includes a Delete from Library option.

PFen is trying to avoid his/her kids seeing specific book titles, not worrying about storage. He/she already deleted from Amazon's website and is still seeing the titles on iPad. If that's the prob on iPad or Kindle cloud, it's just a matter of refreshing the device once the Amazon data base is updated. I've done it in past and it takes a minute or two.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
PFen is trying to avoid his/her kids seeing specific book titles, not worrying about storage. He/she already deleted from Amazon's website and is still seeing the titles on iPad. If that's the prob on iPad or Kindle cloud, it's just a matter of refreshing the device once the Amazon data base is updated. I've done it in past and it takes a minute or two.

Sorry. I see all that was there in the post. Don't know how I missed it, other than hasty and lazy reading.

PFen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. You are correct, I have deleted them from my library in Amazon. I have turned my ipad off and back on. I've held down the power button as I saw this would refresh a kindle but wasn't sure about an ipad............no luck. I've checked it later in the day the books are still listed in cloud on my ipad. When I press on the book cover picture it asks if I want to download it and then tells me "download error" because I have permanently deleted them on the Amazon website. Just cannot get the book covers to disappear off my ipad!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In the Kindle app, viewing the Cloud, at the lower right corner of the screen is an sync icon (circle/arrow). Tap that and see if it clears up the list.

If that does not work.

Tap the Settings icon right next to the sync icon. It looks like a gear or cog.

Tap your name under Registration, then tap Deregister this Kindle.

Wait a while, so we can be sure that it gets all the way back to Amazon.com

Now enter your Amazon.com user and password again on the main page.

If that does not work. (after visiting Amazon.com and making sure the books really aren't there anymore).

Repeat the above, only delete and reinstall the Kindle app before you register it again.

That's all I can think of to try.

Most reactions

Latest posts