What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damaged iPad 2 back

NEOBAHAMUT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am so upset at the moment. I bought the iPad 2 within the first 2 weeks of it being released in the UK. It cost me £700. Anyway tonight I got out of the car and dropped it from about 4 foot. It hasn't damaged the screen or anything but there is a dint in the case. I have been looking around for forums and on websites to see if i can get a replacement. I just wondered whether anyone had attempted to buy a case off the internet (i've seen them for about £40) and try and fit it yourselves? Was it an easy task or did you make it worse doing it? I'm thinking of doing it as my iPad 2 is out of warranty now as its past the first 12 months.

Or would Apple sort it for me?

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is a good reason for people to buy covers or cases for thier iPads

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Replacing the back cover on an iPad is probably the hardest repair you could ever do on an iPad. It requires a complete strip down of the iPad,with every component removed from the case and reassembled in the new case.You're probably better off taking it into the apple store and trading it in on a refurbished iPad.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it's just dented, I'd buy a cover and get over it, rather than risking screwing up functionality over a cosmetic fix.

OP
N

NEOBAHAMUT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again,

I do have a cover on the iPad. It's one I bought for £40. It is like the iPad smart cover but it actually protects the whole thing instead of just the screen.

Would apple just swap my iPad for a refurbished one or would they want money for it? I'm so disappointed with myself for rushing out the car

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They wouldn't just swap it for a refurbished iPad.You would have to pay a fee.

OP
N

NEOBAHAMUT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok guys so i have just spoken to Apple about it... They told me that being as my ipad 2 is out of warranty they charge half of what my original price was for the ipad2. In this case I paid £700.... So to have a replacement ipad2 it's going to cost £350....

I think ill stick with what I have... robbery!

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NEOBAHAMUT said:
Ok guys so i have just spoken to Apple about it... They told me that being as my ipad 2 is out of warranty they charge half of what my original price was for the ipad2. In this case I paid £700.... So to have a replacement ipad2 it's going to cost £350....

I think ill stick with what I have... robbery!

I dropped mine too getting out of the car, and it was in a soft protective bag which ended up damaging it worse with the zip, but it's still ok. I only got mine 5 months ago so does this mean for me apple would swap it for free? As I'm still under warranty? My home button has been playing up since I got it but have not bothered to go to apple yet but I don't want them to say the home button is bust because I dropped it when that wasn't the case.

OP
N

NEOBAHAMUT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I would be honest with them. You get 12 months warranty with ipads. I think they normally charge you for a replacement but not as much if you are in warranty. I think your looking at something like £120... I've just been looking on the net and found this site... iPhone Screen Repairs & Screen Replacement | iPad & iPod Repairs - ukipodrepairs.co.uk You can send your ipad off and they fix it... Or you can drive to their offices and they fix it for you whilst you wait. I'm looking at £145 from there for a new back piece... don't know if i should stick with what I have. I feel sad though as the ipad is my pride and joy. It's such a little mark and only I will ever know it's there. Its that reason why I consider fixing it though.

edit.

also being as your home button has been playing up since you first got it then I would say that it a hardware fault. They should replace it for you if that is the case.

Most reactions

Latest posts