What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 fell out my guitar back pack

Chuck6264

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tonite after a gig my iPad 2 fell out the side pouch of my guitar gig pack. It has a small dent in aluminum case right were the volume rocker is. The volume rocker is also push in to mute. The small splash screen that indicates the volume level was stuck on. I was able to clear it by putting my old iPhone headphones in and adjusting the volume to clear the splash screen.

Does anyone know what approximately the cost would be for a repair. It's 2 months old no screen damage it was in a case when it fell out my bag which is why the damage wasn't worse.

Gonna try a Apple store tomorrow to get a estimate. Thanks in advance for any info.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you take it in to your Apple Store you might find they'll do it for free or replace it. Many Members have found that Apple have an unofficial, 'once in a lifetime', "we'll deny it if you ask us", replace a damaged iPad. Most store front staff don't know about this, so you might need to speak to a manager. Be polite, be humble, be honest, be patient and you may find they'll take pity on you. It's at the sole discretion of the manager, so you might even need to try another Apple Store.

Tim

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once you have sorted your iPad out, you might want to consider an OtterBox Defender. The iPhone version saved my phone from many perils. If you are using your device on the road, I can't think of a better way of protecting it, while still keeping it accessible. The only downside to the Defender is that not all cables will plug into the headphone socket, so you need to be careful which one you buy.

OP
Chuck6264

Chuck6264

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Yes unfortunately when my iPad hit whatever it hit right off of the stage. It was at the the opening in the case so you can get to the volume rocker and mute/orientation lock switch. If it would have fell the other way it would have been ok.

Would it be a good idea to make a Genius appt? I'm not going to ask for a replacement just the estimate on a repair. I live in Philly so there are 3 Apple stores in my area all less than 30 min away.

A few years back I got a new MacBook Pro under Apple care to replace a G4 laptop that they tried to fix for hardware failure 4 times not for accidental damage.

Definitely going to look into the Otterbox case

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
Chuck6264

Chuck6264

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Took my dented iPad to the Apple store. They will replace it for $350.00. Found a place online that will repair for $ 250.00 . New volume switch and back casing. But that's going to void the warranty if a third party opens it. The $350 is based on the price of a 64 gig wifi which is what I have.

Digibitz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this is late, but it may help others.Last night , my son's ipad fell from his bed and dented in the same place, even though it had a plastic back cover. Seems to be the weak spot of the ipad as the volume control slot is so close to the edge. There are many complaints in forums about the same problem. Anyway, the volume control was stuck down and the speaker icon was permanently displayed.
I fixed it as follows :
At first, I tried using a stanley (utility) knife to widen the gap between the glass screen and the alloy back cover , but soon abandoned that as it seemed the glass would chip or crack .
Next, I cut a strip of thin but very tough clear plastic from a battery packet and worked it from the undamaged gap between the glass and cover into the dented area. With the glass thus protected, I forced a jewelers screwdriver between the plastic and the cover and levered the dented area out. It worked!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that tip. It may well save members some hard earned cash.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Most reactions