What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating new folders for recieved e mails

angusrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a newbie,can anyone tell me how to create new e mail folders directly on my ipad2.I have folders synced from my PC but do not know how to create new ones other than doing it on the PC and then syncing.Surely there has to be an easier way for this old man.HELP PLEASE.

OP
angusrace

angusrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.Did I say I was 69 yrs old so you have to go slow with me.I use Gmail synced with my PC if you can help me further.I cannot get the screenshots you have so helpfully depicted no matter where I go in the mailbox or in settings,I never get to where there is an EDIT BUTTON blast it.Hope you have lots of patience.Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No worries. I went an re-looked at my photos and realized I made an assumption (I left out the part where people usually start). Apologies.

I am going to assume you are in the Mail app on your iPad. See if this picture helps you to get to the first picture in the thread I linked:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358608110.455739.jpg

Does that help or did I further confuse the issue? Let me know...

Marilyn

OP
angusrace

angusrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I,m sorry,but still stuck.I am in my Gmail looking at sent emails at LHS I can select these and read them and then in top right have chance to label move

OP
angusrace

angusrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
angusrace said:
I,m sorry,but still stuck.I am in my Gmail looking at sent emails at LHS I can select these and read them and then in top right have chance to label move etc,when I can move them to existing folders from PC,but I DO NOT have the chance here to create a new folder.Sorry,sent that first bit B4 I had finished.Am I being totally THICK !!!!!!!!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I've figured it out - you're using the Gmail app versus the stock Mail app. To make sure, which icon/app are you using?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358613490.814576.jpg

If it's the red M one - that's the Gmail app and no, you cannot make folders in it. You have to use the other app, which is the default Mail app that comes with every iPad.

At least I think that's what happening - please correct me if I am wrong. :)

Marilyn

OP
angusrace

angusrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry taken so long to get back.Tried opening the app u suggest as gmail but will not accept my user name or password,even though I checked and had entered them correctly.So don,t know what I am doing wrong,but can see you have put me on right track,so will try opening another email account and transfer ones I need folders for to this new account Thanks again Marilyn.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
angusrace said:
Sorry taken so long to get back.Tried opening the app u suggest as gmail but will not accept my user name or password,even though I checked and had entered them correctly.So don,t know what I am doing wrong,but can see you have put me on right track,so will try opening another email account and transfer ones I need folders for to this new account Thanks again Marilyn.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Hi Angus from someone who uses Gmail. Go to your Gmail page and tap on Mailboxes, then tap on edit then look down at the bottom it says add mail box. Tap that, name your new mailbox and there you go...

image-1440706747.jpgimage-3529395453.jpg

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you can't do this with a POP account. it's only with IMAP or Exchange accounts that you can create folders on the iPad. Sorry.

Marilyn

P.S. Which is one of the reasons why I created another Gmail account and now forward my POP mail accounts to it. Then, I can have folders with the Gmail account, but they contain the stuff from my other account. Yay me! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts