What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating a infrastructure hot spot on ipad

jai012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi guys! lets see if you can help me please!

I bought MyWi from the cydia store in order to make a hot spot so i can connect my cellphone (blackberry curve) to my ipad with 3g. I live in CR so its cheaper to have 3g on the ipad than on a blackberry. Thats just the things work down here XD.

However when I make the hotspot my BB does not finds the SSID!

I did some research and I found out that MyWi only make Ad-Hoc wifi hotspots while that in the BB RIM has disabled all Ad-Hoc connections so in other words Im screwd and my BB can only conect to infrastructure wifi hotspots :(

I found out that MyWi its working in order to develop another version of MyWi with infrastucture capabilities, but still nothing clear or soon to come.

What can I do!?? (BESIDES BUYING AN IPHONE OR ANY OTHER MEAN ANSWER LOL)

Any program that lets my BB to get ad hoc connections? An alternative to my wii with infraestructre capabilities?

Let me know ! thanks! :)

james
jai012

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might try a BB forum I haven't the first clue on what networks it's allowed to connect to....and if you can mod it to connect to others.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can the BB connect via Bluetooth? If so MyWi should work.

I am kind of shocked the BB cannot connect to an ad hoc network though.

Michael

OP
J

jai012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can the BB connect via Bluetooth? If so MyWi should work.

I am kind of shocked the BB cannot connect to an ad hoc network though.

Michael

Yeah i can connect to bluetooth, I'll install again MyWi but I dont remmber to see any option with bluetooth.... I'll let you know!

and yes according to some articles RIM removed the ad hoc conectivity a couple of updates ago due to "security breachs". Also I know that Sony PS3 and Nintendo Wii cant connect due to the same problem

OP
J

jai012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried again with MyWi 4.0 ( thats the latest version and the one that works with the ipad) and looks like the developer removed :)@) the bluetooth option! :( They said because "not many people knew how to use it (WTF!). :(

let me know guys if someone comes up with any idea! cheers!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried again with MyWi 4.0 ( thats the latest version and the one that works with the ipad) and looks like the developer removed :)@) the bluetooth option! :( They said because "not many people knew how to use it (WTF!). :(

let me know guys if someone comes up with any idea! cheers!
I think there might be another app that does work with bluetooth... have you tried PDANet?

Another app is TetherMe... it works by enabling native iPhone tethering--even if you don't have tethering on your plan. Native iPhone tethering can use USB... but also bluetooth.

I think it is possible!

Michael

Most reactions