What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

creating a folder on idisk

bookmanjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I save all my documents on idisk. I discovered yesterday that while I can save a document to an existing folder, there doesn't appear to be a way to create a folder there. I had to go to my laptop to create the folder, then back to my ipad to save it there. Am I missing something?

thanks,
Joe

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I save all my documents on idisk. I discovered yesterday that while I can save a document to an existing folder, there doesn't appear to be a way to create a folder there. I had to go to my laptop to create the folder, then back to my ipad to save it there. Am I missing something?

thanks,
Joe

I don't think this is possible - you can only create iDisk folders on your PC.

Tim

OP
B

bookmanjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think this is possible - you can only create iDisk folders on your PC.

Tim[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tim. It seems like an odd thing to leave out.

Joe

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - I agree, but it's the same in the iPad's Photos app - you can't create folders there either; they can only be created on your PC and then synch'd to the iPad..

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That sounded like a challenge, so, I discovered a workaround; for iDisk folders anyway.

Open GoodReader and create an empty folder with whatever name you want in iDisk. You use the Manage Files tools to do this.

Now open the iDisk server with the Connect to Servers tool. Navigate to where you want the new folder, tap the upload button, navigate to the folder you created, choose it, and upload it. Works like a charm, well, half a charm anyway. It is a workaround for something that should be easier to do.

Make sure you want the new folder, because I can't think of anyway to delete it short of using a computer.

I take that last back. You can delete folders in the iDisk app. I forgot that, depite having checked it out minutes before I posted. :eek:

Ok, second addendum. A little more fiddling shows that you can delete the folder in GoodReader as well. Silly me, so in a hurry to brag about my solution I didn't even finish solutioning. :eek: :eek:

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I knew when I saw you'd posted in this thread, poet, there was going to be a gem here!!! The answer to my prayers!! Many thanks!!

How did you think of that idea? Lateral thinking at its very best. I think it's a sign of a mis-spent youth!! :D

Tim

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
That sounded like a challenge, so, I discovered a workaround; for iDisk folders anyway.

Open GoodReader and create an empty folder with whatever name you want in iDisk. You use the Manage Files tools to do this.

Now open the iDisk server with the Connect to Servers tool. Navigate to where you want the new folder, tap the upload button, navigate to the folder you created, choose it, and upload it. Works like a charm, well, half a charm anyway. It is a workaround for something that should be easier to do.

Make sure you want the new folder, because I can't think of anyway to delete it short of using a computer.

I take that last back. You can delete folders in the iDisk app. I forgot that, depite having checked it out minutes before I posted. :eek:

Ok, second addendum. A little more fiddling shows that you can delete the folder in GoodReader as well. Silly me, so in a hurry to brag about my solution I didn't even finish solutioning. :eek: :eek:

Thanks Twerppoet! You are THE source for all things iTunes :) I have copied this info to Pages for future reference!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I knew when I saw you'd posted in this thread, poet, there was going to be a gem here!!! The answer to my prayers!! Many thanks!!

How did you think of that idea? Lateral thinking at its very best. I think it's a sign of a mis-spent youth!! :D

Tim

Well, I certainly did my best to mis-spend my youth, so it's a possibility? :)

I just remembered that GoodReader recently added the ability to up/download folders, and it seemed to me there was no reason that the folder had to have anything in it. I wasn't sure it would work until I tried it, but it seemed easy enough to check out.

OP
B

bookmanjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thank you so very much! It seemed there had to be a solution. I wonder why apple did not see fit to include the capability in the first place?

Joe

Most reactions

Latest posts