What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy changes to apps in App Store by apple

Reddwarf4ever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since the last IOS update I have noticed an incredibly stupid change when getting apps from the App Store , I posted this in Apple feedback and also phoned Apple about this.

Previously when selecting a free app it said FREE now it says GET and it doesn't matter if it's FREE or PAID FOR after the download it says CANCEL or BUY as the two options, why the hell does it say BUY if it's a free app, many apps have two versions the free and paid for, if the wrong app is selected....it could accidentally be bought......need Apple to change the BUY button text to OK or similar for FREE apps

Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The GET button instead of the FREE button was added by Apple in 2014, so it's not a recent change. Supposedly they did this, because there are apps that are free at first, but there are in-app-purchases, also maybe because of the European Commission asked them to change the way they sell apps, and to avoid misleading customers to get "free" apps that are not free in reality.

OP
R

Reddwarf4ever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The GET button instead of the FREE button was added by Apple in 2014, so it's not a recent change. Supposedly they did this, because there are apps that are free at first, but there are in-app-purchases, also maybe because of the European Commission asked them to change the way they sell apps, and to avoid misleading customers to get "free" apps that are not free in reality.

Apps with in app purchases are essentially FREE I have downloaded many and never made an in app purchase....so they are free......so how can the BUY button be explained for a FREE app....there is NO difference between BUYing a FREE or paid for APP

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apps with in app purchases are essentially FREE I have downloaded many and never made an in app purchase....so they are free......so how can the BUY button be explained for a FREE app....there is NO difference between BUYing a FREE or paid for APP
A fair number of "free" apps are subscription based, for magazines and audio or video content. While the app itself is free, there is very limited functionality without an in-app purchase. The buy button is there to keep the procedure for aquiring free and paid apps the same. Your card is not charged for "buying" a free app.

OP
R

Reddwarf4ever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A fair number of "free" apps are subscription based, for magazines and audio or video content. While the app itself is free, there is very limited functionality without an in-app purchase. The buy button is there to keep the procedure for aquiring free and paid apps the same. Your card is not charged for "buying" a free app.

Sorry don't agree at all......some apps are 100% free it is the users choice whether to buy in app purchases or not, an app such as this is NOT bought from the App Store it's FREE therefore the button should say OK if it's paid for e.g. £1.99 or £7.99 then of course it should say BUY.....I can't believe you are defending this ludicrous situation.....many people with pre authorised payment methods on their account will accidentally Purchase apps which they thought were free...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry don't agree at all......some apps are 100% free it is the users choice whether to buy in app purchases or not, an app such as this is NOT bought from the App Store it's FREE therefore the button should say OK if it's paid for e.g. £1.99 or £7.99 then of course it should say BUY.....I can't believe you are defending this ludicrous situation.....many people with pre authorised payment methods on their account will accidentally Purchase apps which they thought were free...
As long as the buy button has no price on it, tapping it will not result in any charge on their credit card. As long as they're paying attention they won't accidentally buy a paid app they thought was free.
Also, as was pointed out earlier in this thread, the new way of listing free apps has been in use for over 2 years. In all that time your the only one that has complained so vigorously. Most people seem to have no problem with the current method of getting free apps from the App Store.

OP
R

Reddwarf4ever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many people I know are unhappy About this..but Apple, google Facebook and Microsoft rule the world....so who am I to have an opinion, as an end user, who doesn't really count I guess....

I WOULD NEVER BUY ANYTHING THATS FREE OR CLICK ON BUY IF ITS MEANT TO BE FREE but that's just me, very odd I know......

Let's call it a day......maybe Apple will listen LOL

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
a app is a app is a app. usally if theres a price it shows it and if its free theres not a price listed in the app store. I don't think the button really matters.

Most reactions

Latest posts