1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Copy & paste issue

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Mesqueunclub, May 2, 2013.

1. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +117 / 1
    Hi all,
    Just had a strange experience. I was looking for an item to purchase on eBay on my iPad. Saw what I wanted but needed to ask a question of the seller. I found the contact telephone as listed and was given the option to just Copy or Add to contacts. I decided to add the number to my Notes app for the moment. The number I was looking at was 017xx278461. I selected copy and pasted it into my app. Imagine my surprise when the number was then shown as a totally different number e.g. 164872xx710
    I then double checked and to make certain I was not doing anything wrong, used the Add to contacts. The number turned out the same, 164872xx710. I also copied and pasted into an email, just in case there was an issue with the Notes app, but same result. How weird is that?
    Can anyone tell me why this is happening and if it is a bug then it needs to be sorted?
    Mike
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
  2. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +849 / 0
    It's not totally different. It's backwards. Very strange. As that is someone's phone number, I'm going to edit a couple of digits out. Don't want any prank calls from Kazakhstan, or anything like that.
  3. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +117 / 1
    Hi Kevin,
    Wow! Fast as usual. Yes, I thought all the numbers were the same but out of order. It doesn't help being dyscalculus, ha, ha! Thanks for having my back on the calls from Kazakhstan. Life is weird enough without that.
    Thanks,
    Mike
  4. KevinJS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +849 / 0
    Hi Mike, no problem.

All I can think of is that the software somehow displays the number correctly, but actually codes it backwards, to stop telemarketers from harvesting numbers.

If you use Safari (probably works on other browsers too) you can right click on the number and "select element" and see how it looks in the website's coding.
  5. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +117 / 1
    Will do out of interest, Kevin. I will let you know any developments. Have a good day (early morning)!
    Mike
  6. KevinJS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +849 / 0
    Thanks, Mike. I'd be interested to know why it did that. 1:45 am here. Time to get off this thing and get some sleep. Have a good day.