What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copy & paste issue

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just had a strange experience. I was looking for an item to purchase on eBay on my iPad. Saw what I wanted but needed to ask a question of the seller. I found the contact telephone as listed and was given the option to just Copy or Add to contacts. I decided to add the number to my Notes app for the moment. The number I was looking at was 017xx278461. I selected copy and pasted it into my app. Imagine my surprise when the number was then shown as a totally different number e.g. 164872xx710
I then double checked and to make certain I was not doing anything wrong, used the Add to contacts. The number turned out the same, 164872xx710. I also copied and pasted into an email, just in case there was an issue with the Notes app, but same result. How weird is that?
Can anyone tell me why this is happening and if it is a bug then it needs to be sorted?
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not totally different. It's backwards. Very strange. As that is someone's phone number, I'm going to edit a couple of digits out. Don't want any prank calls from Kazakhstan, or anything like that.

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Kevin,
Wow! Fast as usual. Yes, I thought all the numbers were the same but out of order. It doesn't help being dyscalculus, ha, ha! Thanks for having my back on the calls from Kazakhstan. Life is weird enough without that.
Thanks,
Mike

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Mike, no problem.

All I can think of is that the software somehow displays the number correctly, but actually codes it backwards, to stop telemarketers from harvesting numbers.

If you use Safari (probably works on other browsers too) you can right click on the number and "select element" and see how it looks in the website's coding.

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Will do out of interest, Kevin. I will let you know any developments. Have a good day (early morning)!
Mike

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Mike. I'd be interested to know why it did that. 1:45 am here. Time to get off this thing and get some sleep. Have a good day.

Most reactions

Latest posts