Copy Album info from iPad to Windows PC

Discussion in 'iPad for Photographers' started by etaf, Jan 10, 2017.

1. etaf

etaf
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    i wondered if sharing the albums would keep the album structure
    Although it looks like you create 1 shared album - i was thinking of using the albums on the ipad

#11 etaf, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Shared albums are synced through iCloud to every device that is subscribed to them. I don't know if you can subscribe to a shared album to any Windows photo apps. You can access shared albums on Windows through a browser. Perhaps someone with Windows can offer a better overview of what you can do.

It is not possible to share an existing album, but you can open an album, Edit, Select All, then copy those photos to a shared album.

Shared albums do not count against your iCloud Storage space, but they do have a cap on the number of photos. It's been a while since I checked, so I don't know what the current caps are, but it's reasonale for sharing; but not enough if you wanted to try and synce your entire library (depending on how many photos you have). Also, it's all manual which is kind of a pain. It also doubles the storage on the iPad. Unlike normal albums, shared albums store duplicates of the originals.

While shared albums can be synced between iOS devices and Macs, there's no point in using it if you are using iCloud Photo LIbrary and self syncing is all your going to do.

3. etaf

etaf
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for another comprehensive answer
    Not a route to go down.

I have today looked at some old backups using norton 360 and as suspected , they only stored info for the user and Photoshop elements use the Programdata folder on the C: drive - so backups useless in this case

I'm having ago to recover the old drive again and see if i can find the catalog for PSE

Thanks again

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    No problem. Let us know how it works out.