What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cookies and history

Suehayter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have accidentally erased cookies and history for an important website, ie I can no longer get on my Drs site, how can
I restore it. Please help!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be very surprised if lost cookies is preventing you accessing the site. You might want to give your doctor a call and find out if there are server issues before doing anything drastic.

OP
Suehayter

Suehayter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd be very surprised if lost cookies is preventing you accessing the site. You might want to give your doctor a call and find out if there are server issues before doing anything drastic.

I can get on with my lap top and other family computers, but not my ipad. I did accidentally erase my cookies and history, so I assume ths is the problem. The Drs website implies the same, as this is listed as one of the problems for not accessing the site.

OP
Suehayter

Suehayter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I restore from an old backup won't I loose new stuff, music, apps etc? I think this happened some
time ago.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you turned Private Browsing on in Settings/Safari? If so, you need to turn it off.

And is your iPad set up to accept cookies?

I simply can't accept that a site will shut you out simply because you cleared your cookies.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's no guarantee that restoring from a backup will restore cookies. You won't lose apps and music. They can be downloaded again if you have paid for them. You will lose any data later than the backup.

But I don't think this is your problem. Clearing cookies and history is a fix for a lot of problems. I'm sure no one would expect you to never do this as a condition of using their site.

However, I can see accepting cookies being necessary.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Erasing the cookies and history should not prevent you from getting back on the site, however it will require to you log in again.

On the other hand if you accidentally changed your Safari settings to prevent cookies, that would cause problems. Some sites require cookies to work.

Go to Settings > Safari and make sure Private Browsing is turned OFF and Accept Cookies is set to 'From visited'.

OP
Suehayter

Suehayter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments. My ipad already had the correct settings, and yes I had cleared history and cookies in response to
something else. I simply cannot log in to the Drs website on my ipad. Perhaps I will send them a message. No other websites that I log in to
seem affected so I agree that wiping the cookies does not seem to be the problem.

OP
Suehayter

Suehayter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well would you believe it. I haven't been able to get on the site for four weeks on my ipad, and I just tried again and it opened straight away. Thanks all, at least I have learnt something.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, at least it's working again. As an old tech, it annoys me when things start working without being fixed, but I'm used to it.

Thanks for letting us know.

Most reactions

Latest posts